? Prep'ing a used tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just picked up a used tank, lighthood, filter & decos. It's very clean. Do I need to do anything special to it other than rinse it w/ tap water? I've sanitized stuff w/ aquarium salt in the past before. Or what is best? Thanks!!

you can use hot water to clean it. A bleach and water mix can also be used to sanitize a used tank, just make sure to rinse the tank thoroughly when your done. After you rinse the bleach and water out, let it sit outside in the sun.

Vinegar (white/distilled) is also an option - either straight or mixed with warm/hot water. Salt is always a good option, assuming it was/will be fresh water, as it can kill some of the things that can actually survive bleach, but not a saltwater environment.

Ammonia can also be used (follow label instructions) to clean the tank. It bears saying - DO NOT MIX AMMONIA AND BLEACH - this is a big safety issue!

The best disinfectant, once you pick a cleaner (and rinse well) is to let everything dry really well, preferably out in the sun.

Ok, thanks! Should I rinse it again w/ plain tap water after I let it sit in the sun??

Nope, you should be fine. Add your stuff, and remember to dechlorinate the water!

Back
Top Bottom