Prime and cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bix22

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I use Prime and Nutrafin Cycle in conjunction with each other to cycle my tank?
It's a 20 gal freshwater. It has a stalled cycle after 8 weeks. Ammonia levels hang around 1 ppm despite frequent water changes every other day. Nitrate stuck at 5. Never registered nitrites yet. It's a fish in cycle.

I wouldn't use the Nutrafin stuff to cycle. Put in a tiny amount of Prime with water changes and if ammonia gets too high. Prime will screw up your readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for 24 hours so just keep that in mind. IMO, the cycling products do more harm than good. I'm pretty sure prime has some bacteria in it anyways to help with the cycle.

I wouldn't use the Nutrafin stuff to cycle. Put in a tiny amount of Prime with water changes and if ammonia gets too high. Prime will screw up your readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for 24 hours so just keep that in mind. IMO, the cycling products do more harm than good. I'm pretty sure prime has some bacteria in it anyways to help with the cycle.

Prime does not have any bacteria in it and will not screw with the readings, it may give a false reading of .25 ammonia, however I've never had that happen. Yes you can use prime with any cycle products has prime only detoxifies ammonia into ammonium that the bacteria can still use as food.

Differing opinions who is correct?

The last person is correct, prime just detoxifies the ammo, making it's safe for inhabitants until BB takes care of it. false readings are possible Seachem says wait 24hrs b4 a test. You must use prime or an equivalent during a water change or the chlorines and chloramine will kill your BB. As far as your Nutrifin knock yourself out

I have well water so there should not be chlorine in it. There are zero nitrates nitrites and ammonia in it.

If you said that b4 sorry I missed it, you don't need prime than at all (can't hurt though to be safe) but as the person b4 me said prime does nothing towards a cycle only to "condition" your tap water. I you feel your cycle stalled, nitrites hanging to high consider a almost full water change lower them down plus the ammo, to Much nitrite during cycle will b to much for BB to handle while it's still devoloping.

I have well water so there should not be chlorine in it. There are zero nitrates nitrites and ammonia in it.

I would still use prime as you may not have chlorine, but you still have heavy metals that can be harmful to fish

Ok will do!!! I hope I can fully cycle soon.

Back
Top Bottom