Problem for new setup freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an even smaller filter (TopFin 30) on my 29 and I dont use a circulation pump. I just added some new live plants to mine and some leaves where being circulated just fine.

Edit: You might be able to add food coloring to one area of tue tank, and see where it goes. I would ask someone else before doing this though.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah I personally think circulation pump is for salt aquarium.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am far from that. I got 3ppm ammonia and 3-4ppm nitrite now last night. It was 4ppm ammonia and 0 nitrie before. I change 50% water twice a week and havent added any fish. Hope it will drop soon.

I'm not sure I'm following.

Do you have any fish right now or have they all died?

If you have fish, you need to be doing more water changes so they don't die.

If you don't have fish, don't do water changes unless the ammonia is higher than 4ppm. And if you don't have fish anymore, look up fishless cycling. You'll likely need an ammonia source.

People do use power heads to move water in freshwater aquariums.

I wouldn't recommend buying anything until the tank is stable. A uv filter won't help either, the fish are clearly dieing from toxic water.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Thanks guys. I do have fish and following the fish in cycle guide now. I change water twice a week.

I'm thinking you need to use water parameters, not a schedule, for water changes. If I'm understanding what you've posted, you're not changing enough water and the levels are still quite harmful.

Oh ok. I will. How can i know how much amount i should change?

I just read the link you were given. It suggests 50% twice weekly, because it presumes you are starting with pristine water and few fish.

Check around for recommendations (I've not done fish in and am just reading this from a book) but personally I'd get ammonia down to almost nothing, then change 50% every time the ammonia is above 1ppm. And feed only every few days.

What is your ammonia today?

Just saw your ammonia levels from last night ...

My personal suggestion is to change half the water tonight, half again in the morning, then again tomorrow afternoon. Then test, make sure it's .25 or even less.

Then check it Monday, and if it's at or above 1ppm, change 50% of the water again. Repeat daily.

It about 3.4ppm now. Nitrite 4ppm. How can i reduce it to 0. Water change?

Just saw your ammonia levels from last night ...

My personal suggestion is to change half the water tonight, half again in the morning, then again tomorrow afternoon. Then test, make sure it's .25 or even less.

Then check it Monday, and if it's at or above 1ppm, change 50% of the water again. Repeat daily.

Thank you. I will try follow your guide. Should I feed every 2 days?

It about 3.4ppm now. Nitrite 4ppm. How can i reduce it to 0. Water change?

If you do a 50% change from those numbers they'll drop to both at about 2 ppm, another 50 will drop them to 1ppm and so on. I would do atleast 4 as that should get you to ~.25ppm

Ok. It takes too much time but it's a challenge too :)

I think thats my problem. I feed them twice a day. I was afraid they are not healthy without food.

I think thats my problem. I feed them twice a day. I was afraid they are not healthy without food.

Cutting back on feeding isn't going to help you with your current toxic water, wc's are your best option right now.

Don't get plecos in a tank that small. Max size is 16".

If you do a 50% change from those numbers they'll drop to both at about 2 ppm, another 50 will drop them to 1ppm and so on. I would do atleast 4 as that should get you to ~.25ppm

So you mean I should to change 50% water at same time? Or i change 50% tonight, then 50% in morning then 50% in tomorrow afternoon and so on until it drops to .25ppm? And should I feed the fish once a day?

I'd do 2 a day for a couple days, and I wouldn't feed at all until I got the levels down.

I'd do 2 a day for a couple days, and I wouldn't feed at all until I got the levels down.

Ammonia dropped to 0.5 now. But nitrite is still really high about 4. I think because I add API quick start when change water.
My fishes start eat my plant leaves. I stoped feeding from saturday.

Back
Top Bottom