Problem with ammonia.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cmziler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The tank I have has been set up for 3+ years a year with out fish. Few months ago decided to put new fish in the tank and one by one they died with in a few days of adding them took my water sample in showed high ammonia levels. Did 50% water changes for two months and saved the last fish I had until I was gifted two guppies. When I added them to the tank that guppy died. Went to add more fish since the ammonia levels was in safe area according to petco. Those two platies died. So I continued to do 50% water changes to save the two guppies that I have. Dec 1 I bought the test strips and 3 platies. Since I had stopped doing water changes since my water came back good at the begging of nov. and still good all through November. The test strips showed nitrates high. So I again did water changes but zero nitrites. So three weeks ago I bought the api liquid tester kit. Ammonia was way high 8 ppm zero nitrites and zero nitrates. So cleaned the tank every other day. For the last 4 months been using tetra safe start went through 4 bottles. Normally I would use stability but petco no longer carries it. So afte 4 months of using haven't seen any improvement so I bought stress zyme+. After a week now I am seeing a difference. My ammonia levels are still high 2ppm still zero nitrites and 20 ppm nitrates which have just the last 3 days started to rise. But my ph level is rising with it. 7.6 now it's at 8.0. I did have very low ph 4 months ago so added sea shells from my vacation after washing them and soaking them in water for a day. That did rise my ph and I took them out 5 days ago and that's when my ph started to rise the highest it was 8.8. I tested my tap water before and after being conditioned which was the same. Ph 7.6, .25ppm ammonia 0 nitrites and 5.0 ppm nitrates. If my tank is recycling how is my ammonia going down very slowly and nitrates rising but still zero nitrites. Is it possible that I just never had a rise because the bacteria is growing at the same rate. The big mistake when everything was going well I did a massive water change as well as changed the filter because petco told me since that filter was the cause of my problems because it was 3 months old. Told me I had to change it ever 30 days. Any ways the fish don't seem stressed so I don't understand what's going on. My guppies have actually breeded in this mess. She been looking like she's going to pop any day now for the last week but just won't drop the fry. I never had this problem with the tank. I should add it's a 10 gal with two guppies and 3 platies. I already got a 20 gal that I will be starting to cycle come next week. Needs a filter and heater. But I'm kinda ocd with testing the tank I actually test the water 3 times a day first thing in the morning after noon and before bed. I keep waiting for the purple to show up saying its in the second phase of cycling. There's times I test the water 5/6 times if I have done water change. Sorry for the book, but I'm at a loss as to what's going on. I also used ammonia lock for about 2 months but it's been two months since I used it so I doubt that the test would be reading that anymore. I'm wondering if I need to add a little salt but my son decided to dump that out and I normally only use a tea spoon at the start of set up. I'm only wondering if I should add some to possible help the fish and maybe help my female to drop her fry. She's boxed and can see the fry eyes. I'm thinking she's also holding them because the water isn't good.

Yikes what a mess...

I think the real issue here is all the adding of chemicals and removing of stuff like filter pads. It's messing with the cycle and continues to throw it out of whack.

Ignore the Petco advise... Don't ever change your filter pads unless it's literally falling apart. Even then, you should add a new one long before(about a month) before removing the old raggedy one.

^^ this is because the filter is the home of the bacteria for your cycle. By removing pads and stuff from it, you remove the beneficial bacteria... Causing more ammonia spikes.

I think you were cycling well then because you changed the filter pad it set you back a ways.

Bacterial additives can give false readings such as nitrates. Making you think you are farther than you really are. This is why I'm not a fan of them. Plus they don't always work, sometimes they do nothing.

I would suggest Seachem Prime as a water conditioner. Many on here including myself swear by it. It dechlorinates and converts ammonia into ammonium for 24 hours. What this means is the ammonia is detoxified until it converts back. *very important!* your test kit will still give ammonia readings. It measures the ammonium as well so do not be fooled.

Along with that above I'd test daily like you have been and just do water changes. No messing with the filter, no additives except prime. This will give you accurate readings on your water test.

For the best conditions of your fish:

Keep ammonia under 1ppm and nitrite under 0.50ppm. As the cycle progresses this can get challenging and will often require daily water changes.

Hope this works for you.

Edit: ALSO- if your pH ever drops below 6.0 immediately water change. 6.0 and below all nitrification (your cycle) stalls. pH swings are very common in a cycling tank and will stabilize after the cycle completes.

Caleb

Last edited:
I had great results 3 or 4 years ago when using the stibility. It cycled the tank with in a bout a month had those fish up until I was in the hospital For 4 days giving birth to my son and hubby killed them by over feeding them went through two cans of fish food. So after cleaning it out real good the tank sat for a year with just an empty tank but had it running. That's where all my problems started. They don't sell prime any where near me. I was hoping not having to make the 45 min drive to that fish place but they are the experts when it comes to fish since that's what they mainly deal with. Also while dealing with this mess at first I thought I had the bacterial bloom until the water wouldn't clear up after 9 days then took on a greenish hue from the smoky hue and did 3 water changes of 50% cleared it up as well as scrubby brushed the sides of the tank. Now I'm second guessing if that was in fact a bacterial bloom and I wiped the bacteria out once again. It did look a little green but could of possibly been the lighting. That was two weeks ago when the nitrates was at its highest according to the stripes 60+. I'm just ready to empty the tank wash it out and start all over. I did take have the gravel out and run it under water in a bowl and tossed them around till the water ran clear. I'm at a loss. But I will get the prime next week when I go do get the new things for the 29 gal tank. I'm also getting some live plants for both tanks. So I know that should help. As far as using the bacteria supplements it's because I did a fish in cycle. It's how my family has always done it.

Back
Top Bottom