Problems Cycling 28ltr Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HarryPall23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

Just after a bit of help i currently have 3 neon tetras in a 28ltr tank with live plants and one air stone with a submersable filter the tank has been set up for 3 weeks, i currently change the water every 3 days around 25% and condition this with tap safe and then API fast start. I test my water regulary with API master test kit which shows level of ammonia around 1.00, nitrite of 0.25, nitrates 0 and PH 7.9. The fish seem healthy and i only feed them small amounts once every two days but the ammonia is struggling to come down and there is no trace of nitrates as of yet just wondering if i am doing anything wrong at all

Thanks any help would be appreciated

HarryPall23

It just takes time. As long as you're keeping the ammonia and nitrite below 1ppm(for the fish safety) then your doing right. The last cycle I did with fish in took 6+ weeks. I do fishless now. If you could get some established filter media from someone that would speed it up.

Hi Harry. You're just experiencing what all fish keepers experience with fish in cycling. Ammonia has to be kept low to protect fish so bacteria takes longer to get established. Typical fish less cycling raises ammonia to about 4ppm so you can see that with fish in it will take longer. I would avoid ammonia readings of above 0.25 and definitely not higher than 0.5. The fish will look ok but they are being stressed at 1ppm. Fish in cycling takes a lot of patience and a lot of water testing. Also when cycled your filter is processing the fish waste of your 3 neons but add another 3 and you've doubled your loading and a mini cycle is possible until the bacteria has doubled up to cope. Lots of people do successfully cycle with fish in so don't lose heart.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom