Proper pH for community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all

I have just purchased an API Master Test Kit on the advice from other forum members and after proper testing, I can see now that my new tank (still cylcing - no fish) is at pH 8.2.

What pH is desirable for a community tank - am I correct in thinking this should be 7.5?

Are chemicals the recommended way to raise/lower pH?

Thanks!

You are still cycling so that could fluctuate. What is the PH of your water straight out of the tap? No, chemicals is the least desirable way. I think 7.0 would be really ideal but IMO consistency is most important. Some use driftwood, which I've had no luck with, or peat is popular.

From the tap, it's about 7-7.5...

Don't even worry about the pH until your tank has finished it cycle. If you want to get a an idea of what it will be, just test your tap water.
Later after the cycle has finished and you know what pH the fish in your tank will need is when you'll need to deal with any pH problem.
If you can try to avoid the Ph up & pH down chemicals. They have a tendency to raise and lower the pH rapidly. Which can stress or even shock your fish.
Unless you get very delicate fish, your taps pH should be fine as long as it's consistent.

Ammonia is very basic. If you're fishless cycling, it's not a surprise that you've got those pH readings. Even after you're finished cycling, don't worry about the pH unless you're trying to keep fish like wild discus. The vast majority of fish will adapt to your pH levels.

Don't worry about the pH if it's stable... Pretty sure that's what BigJim meant... the number isn't a huge deal as long as it stays the same.

Thanks for the advice.

So as the cycle completes, would the pH change anyway? Just confused as to why the tap water going in is pretty much neutral but when it's in the tank, it's pH is higher.

Also I am noticing as the tank is continuing to cycle, it's starting to smell more ... is that normal?

Probably, and yes.

Since ammonia is basic it will cause the pH to rise... much like baking soda would. Once you have no ammonia, it will most likely go down a little. Also, if you have any decor that buffers the pH up that could cause it.

Smells are common. My tanks have no smell, but people often report a smell when cycling a tank. Once you get done cycling and get on a regular weekly pwc routine, you shouldn't have any smell issues

Back
Top Bottom