Proposed Bedside Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have convinced my wife to let me have a third tank, even if it is a small one. I have decided that I want something in our bedroom. I am looking at getting an Aqueon 10 gallon tank from Petco, the dollar a gallon sale is going on now. I think that for lighting I am going to get the Marineland double bright led system, the 18" version. According to their par data this should give me good par for low light. I am going to have an AquaClear 50 filter, do you all think this would be to much flow for a tank this size? I will use pfs as substrate and an Aqueon Pro heater. It will be stocked with mainly Cherry Shrimp and I think some Guppies. What are your thoughts and ideas on this system?

I think the 50 would be too much flow for a 10 gallon, that is similar to having a powerhead in there. I would say go for a smaller filter as my shrimp typically stay away from the water flow, although I do have a few rouge males that continuously take the ride (i think its a challenge between each other). I bought a filter they had on sale at one of those large chain stores pets mart or petco for like $17 and it is actually one of my favorite, it's really quiet and would be great for a bedroom setup.

Only other thing is you want to make sure you have hiding places for the shrimplets that will surely come, so they don't become guppy food and whether or not you will have live plants. Good luck.

I agree, you'll definitely want some live plants for the shrimp to hide in. Im not sure if your into moss, but moss walls are great for shrimp. Mine have already hatched shrimplets and they mostly stay in the moss until they are 1/2 the size of the adult and then they begin to explore.

The Aquaclear 50 will definitely be too powerful for that small tank. PFS is easily disturbed, and when I do pwc, I tend to turn off my Whisper 10 because the water fallout kicks my sand all over the place. So I would imagine a 50 would just blow the sand all over.

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and got the ac 30 just got the intake tube painted black to match the background.

Being a small decorative tank, I think your wife will appreciate the guppies lol
Instead of cherry shrimp though, or in addition to, get a bunch of various shrimp species. There are some cool ones out there! A lot behave differently too and are fun to watch when many colours are mixed together. I'm trying my hand at breeding them:D I have 35 blue bumblebees and a bunch of others right now.

Koikid88 said:
Being a small decorative tank, I think your wife will appreciate the guppies lol
Instead of cherry shrimp though, or in addition to, get a bunch of various shrimp species. There are some cool ones out there! A lot behave differently too and are fun to watch when many colours are mixed together. I'm trying my hand at breeding them:D I have 35 blue bumblebees and a bunch of others right now.

I have seen the bumble bees they are really cool. My lfs has not caught on with the shrimp craze for some reason.

Bought em on ebay. Woulda cost 5x more in store lol My lfs just carries the usual like cherries, crystal reds, sakuras, ghosts and whatnot. Usually have limited addition ones every new shipment though. Every 1-2 weeks.

Koikid88 said:
Bought em on ebay. Woulda cost 5x more in store lol My lfs just carries the usual like cherries, crystal reds, sakuras, ghosts and whatnot. Usually have limited addition ones every new shipment though. Every 1-2 weeks.

That would be nice. Mine carries ghost, cherries, and amanos once in a while (they call them algae eating shrimp)

Back
Top Bottom