pugmom's 29 gallon community build (newbie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How many days has it been? Do you have a heater on it to about 84? I really think it helps.

I've had my ammonia zero out only once since I started (I don't have any seeded media)--my ammonia is between 1.0ppm-2.0ppm. I'm just waiting on my NitrAtes to get high. My NitrItes have been off the charts, my pH is fine & NitrAtes are around 20ppm--climbing sloooooowly. I may do a water change soon since not much activity for a week--which will add some nutrients & replenish buffers. I started May 7th, so I'm on day 37+/- a day or 2.

Good luck!!

thanks TangoTank! I am between 82 and 84 f.
I am on day 11 total, and only the 3rd day since the ammonia started dropping. Just tested again this am - 2ppm (maybe a smidge lighter) ammonia and no nitrites. Probably totally normal, I will just be happy when some nitrites show up! How long did it take you to get nitrites once the ammonia started dropping??

Hope the water change boosts your cycle!!

I'd say not until after Ammonia totally dropped like in the 0-1.0ppm range. That's when I was sure I had a readable Purple!! You'll be so excited to see Purple, then it'll be daaaaayssss before you see any more exciting action. Ha ha... NitrAtes for me aren't that exciting climbing b/c it's sooooo sloooooow ;o)

Patience, PugMom! :eek:)

New tanks are so exciting. Have you soaked or boiled your driftwood? That will help to reduce the tannins that leach into the water, although I actually like the lightly colored water from the tannins. It looks very natural.

P.S. As a "mom of pugs" myself, I love your name!

thanks tt! Did you redose ammonia when it got to 1ppm or did you let it drop below?

Razorbackfan - yep, I soaked, but I am sure not long enough. I couldn't boil because one piece was too big, but I poured boiling water over several times. I think the water will be not too annoying long term just amplified as I know I can't do a water change any time soon :) I am sure my fishies will love it!

OT - How many pugs do you have? I don't know too many with just one :) Mine are in the senior range so they spend all day holding down my couch....:D

pugmom said:
thanks tt! Did you redose ammonia when it got to 1ppm or did you let it drop below? ...

...OT - How many pugs do you have? I don't know too many with just one :) Mine are in the senior range so they spend all day holding down my couch....:D

HILARIOUS! About your pugs. My large orange senior dog holds down my bed all day! Ha ha...

I re-dosed to 4ppm after it dropped to zero, probably shoulda put it to 2.0ppm at first. IDK. There's so much info & so many things to learn, definitely a learnin' lesson!

hi emerald -
The plan is a bunch of tiny fish :)
6 neons
6 zebra danios/glofish
4 cory cats (panda or false julii)
1 bristlenose pleco

beyond that, maybe 6 glowlight tetras or a couple of mickey mouse platys....we shall see how things go...

I'd up the cories to six, add a school of six glowlights or a group of 3 male platies and call it stocked

thanks emerald! I love the corys!

Another day of no nitrites....ammo creeping down to between 1-2 ppm, I just hope it is doing something and not just evaporating.....

pugmom said:
thanks emerald! I love the corys!

Another day of no nitrites....ammo creeping down to between 1-2 ppm, I just hope it is doing something and not just evaporating.....

I thought of that too!! The ammonia hasn't budged lately, the water's evaporating, maybe the water evap'ing is messing up the PPM ratio!! Then I added a gallon of water, oh boy... that's gonna really confuse me! HA! No... I'll just wait for the ammonia to zero out & NitrAtes to get a bit higher while watching the pH before doing anything else ;o)

aaarrrrgh! I usually am patient, but going a little nuts here. 15 days and no nitrites :(

TT - this is nuts isn't it? Hope you ammonia is moving by now!

pugmom said:
aaarrrrgh! I usually am patient, but going a little nuts here. 15 days and no nitrites :(

TT - this is nuts isn't it? Hope you ammonia is moving by now!

Yep! Down to .25ppm today & I go on va-k in TWO DAYS! ACK!!! Gonna be gone a week, I'm worried I'm going to ruin my cycle's momentum!! I'll do a big PWC the day before i leave, dose ammonia to 4.0ppm & pray for the best!

TT - hope you are having a great vacation and hope you cycle is back on track when you get back.

Super excited here - I was worried about no nitrites, but yesterday started showing a little, and now my readings today were:

ph = 8
ammonia = 0.5-1 ppm
nitrite = 2-5 ppm
nitrate = 10 ppm

got some plants from a relative and a little gravel, so I am hoping that will help move things even more.

I am planning on dosing some more ammonia tonight....

Hi! My va-k was great!! My ammonia was gone when I got back, I dosed it back up to 2ppm & it's taken 2 days to go back down to zero. I'll dose it back up tonite & see how long it takes to get that time down. Maybe my tank didn't take a hit at all. YAY!! How's your tank doing??

glad to hear all is well with you and your tank! I am working on my nitrite spike right now. Have done a couple water changes but still very high with pretty high nitrates as well. Hoping things start dropping soon!!!

Pugmom, I just have a comment about the senior pugs.... You mean they weren't holding down the couch when they were younger? ;-) my nickname is "struggsmom" because my pug is known as the struggler cuz he sleeps probably 18 hours a day!

ram - too funny. I guess the difference as now they sleep 23 hours per day vs the previous 20. They used to run around a table for 5 minutes before in a "pug rumble" - haven't seen that recently -lol.

Anyway.....getting antsy with my tank. Processing ammonia quickly, but nitrites still quite high. Have done several water changes, rearranged some plants, glued some java fern to rocks, but I WANT FISH! lol. :banghead:

pugmom said:
Anyway.....getting antsy with my tank. Processing ammonia quickly, but nitrites still quite high. Have done several water changes, rearranged some plants, glued some java fern to rocks, but I WANT FISH! lol. :banghead:

ha ha... ME TOO!! I'm Day 51+ w/ no seeded media. I'm almost there though. I think my kids have forgotten that we're ever gonna get fish!!

Back
Top Bottom