pumpkin seed in 55g? from wild!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlover9000

Aquarium Advice Freak
could i keep one for two in a 55g?

how would i go about getting one? i thought i could get a small one from the wild in a net? that would work for me. how would i keep it alive?

Yes, one would work for life in a 55 IMO. You would keep it alive the same as just about any fish, but remember that their temp needs will differ from tropicals. Check with your state's fish and game dept. about the legality of collecting one. It shouldn't be a problem, but fines for violations can be steep so it's better to err on the side of caution. Their are also vendors (and a TON of info) on www.nanfa.org).

I have a kissing gouramai in there at the moment...
what should i do with him...?

can pumkinseed survive in warmwater?
i have seen oscars and bluegills together...

If you want to go with a native tank, you'll need to rehome the gourami.

It may survive, but it will not thrive most likely. The temperatures for it will be dictated by the average day / night & summer / winter temps of where it is collected.

I will be collecting it from beltsville state park in pa... do you know the average temps?

what should i feed the seed?

Estimated current water temp for Pymatuning lake (I assumed that is where you would collect from) is 58 so it will definitely be a cold water fish. If you don't have a chiller, it would best be housed in a pond (or left in the lake). Since it's a state park you'll want to make sure of the rules for collecting if you decide to go forward.

Pymatuning Lake, Pennsylvania Fishing Report - fishingnotes.com

Bloodworms, black worms, pond snails, insects, etc. should be fine. You may have some difficulty in getting it to take pellets or flake at first, but I know of some that have gotten their sunfish onto them.

Pumpkinseed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findinfo/newrulesregs.pdf
Pennsylvania State Parks - Rules and Regulations - PA DCNR

I don't think you will need a chiller.
They do fine in warmer water too. As long as your house does not get to hot.

"Pumpkinseeds prefer shallow water with some weed cover. They are often typical of ponds and small lakes, preferring water temperatures of 4–22 °C (39–72 °F). They are active during the day and rest near the bottom at night."

Pumpkinseed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I catch them from local lakes frequently.
They eat just about anything. Canned corn, worms, small minnows.
BTW - Our local outdoor temps hit 110f+ regularly and the water temps hit the high 70s to 80s so I would not worry about your tank temps in your house.

You won't even need a heater.

cool i will keep it warmwater.
i have found a place that will sell a bunch of dif native fish, bass, bluegill, catfish etc.

Fishlover, um what place is that because most those fish are illegal to sell or distribute. especially bass.

You can usually buy them for farm ponds from companies that raise them.
Around here they will even delivery them to your pond.
But as fishlover said... usually a large quantity must be purchased.

You can usually buy them for farm ponds from companies that raise them.
Around here they will even delivery them to your pond.
But as fishlover said... usually a large quantity must be purchased.

I was getting worried there lol!

I just went out a catched some sunnys, and seeds.
they are in quarinteen now(i will wait about 15 days)

when will i expect them to start eating?

now. maybe once it gets dark, remember they are wild fish and have only had the seasons to depend on for light and warmth. keep an eye on their native waters and make yours the same and they will come back, they are in shock right now is all. most wild fish will stay shy for days sometimes weeks. They eat differently then tropicals too, some go days without food some go minutes.

the ones i got out are very small... shortest is half a inch longest is i inch and a half...
frozen bloodworms will work for them right?

now. maybe once it gets dark, remember they are wild fish and have only had the seasons to depend on for light and warmth. keep an eye on their native waters and make yours the same and they will come back, they are in shock right now is all. most wild fish will stay shy for days sometimes weeks. They eat differently then tropicals too, some go days without food some go minutes.

Back
Top Bottom