purchase fish online?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harlow

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good ol country town outskirts of Auburn IN
Apologies in advance if this has been discussed before, honest, I searched before asking. I live in the counrty and we only have 1 pet store which sells pet fish within 30 miles. (unless you count walmart and meijer). several times now, I have brought home fish that weren't quite right. i.e. swimming in circles, showing signs of great stress, appearing to have ich on them, missing one eye, and otherwise undesirables, from that one pet store. I'm losing faith in them as a reliable source for healthy fish, but my options are limited given my location. I have given thought to shopping online for live pet fish. I've looked around a bit and prices seem decent, also they is a wider variety of available fish from online sites. Still, I am reluctant to trust them as well. I'm curious of your opinions on shopping online for fish and having them sent to your home. Am I so old fashioned that this is the common way it's done today and I just haven't caught on? Are there any specific websites you trust and have had satisfying experiences with?

It's completely safe, and IMO, safer. You have to remember that to get to the pet stores, the fish have to be shipped. So they make residence for a few days and then are taken to your home. If you order online, then it cuts out the middle man. Less stressful for the fish. Liveaquaria has been and will always be my favorite website.

Liveaquaria is amazing with a huge selection and great and easy shipping.

wow! thank you all. I didn't expect such quick replies. I shopped around a little more in the last 20 minutes and found that, while the prices on the fish seem great, the few sites I browsed nail you in shipping fees. 33 bucks or so. Anyway, I will check into your suggestions. Brilliant Barbs, great point about the pet stores being a middle man. I didn't even consider the fact that the fish are shipped there anyway. thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom