Pure Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueAnchors

Aquarium Advice Regular
What would happen if I used a bottle of ammonia that says its clear but bubbles when I shake it in my tank? I cant find ammonia that doesn't bubble anywhere. :C

BlueAnchors said:
What would happen if I used a bottle of ammonia that says its clear but bubbles when I shake it in my tank? I cant find ammonia that doesn't bubble anywhere. :C

It means bad news. Check out the thread in my signature, it explains what to avoid and hopefully where to find the good stuff, good luck!

mfdrookie516 said:
Numerous people have reported using ammonia with surfactants with no issues. I, however, would not feel comfortable doing so.

Agreed. I've worked with people who have had no problems, and others have waited months and had absolutely nothing happen with their cycle and had to tear down, rinse everything and restart their cycle with the right ammo. There may be different types of surfactants. To me, it'd be a massive risk to take.

In the ingredients is says ammonium hydroxide, surfactant. And then under that it says contains no phosphorus. when I shake it it bubbles then they stay there for a bit. I am going to go down to ace and see what is there

BlueAnchors said:
In the ingredients is says ammonium hydroxide, surfactant. And then under that it says contains no phosphorus. when I shake it it bubbles then they stay there for a bit. I am going to go down to ace and see what is there

Yeah, I'd highly recommend against using what you've got under any circumstance.

No, don't use that it's the wrong stuff. I went to Walmart here and it had the same ingredients with surfectant, when I shook it it had foam at the top. Went to ACE harware and bought their Ace brand janitorial strength ammonia which is pure ammonia. No foam when you shake it (just a few air bubbles that last a second or two). (y)

Thanks for the help! I found the ammonia at ace. For all the advertisment you guys give ace they should like sponsor this website or something. :D

Back
Top Bottom