PWC question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, so I read somewhere that you are supposed to use the FULL dose of Prime for the 70G, not just for the amount of water you replace? Also, is it safe to put the prime in and then add the water? Will that get rid of the chlorine fast enough? I just bought the siphoning thing for the tanks and was planning on hooking it up to the sink to fill the tank back up, and draining the old water into the bathtub. (Thankfully my house is set up to where all of these are superclose to the tank!) Thanks for your help! You guys and gals rock!!!

i always just put half the dechlorinator in, start filling, then about halfway through filling, put the rest. I think everybody has their own way. Its always worked well on mine... Id say the bigger the tank, the less of a risk you run of having your fish poisoned by the chlorine or chloramine because there is more water volume to dillute it... One thing i have started doing is just keeping the python hooked up to the sink long enough to do my vac, then just sticking the hose outside to siphon out the rest of what im removing... ive noticed that my wastewater bill had been outrageous until i started doing that ;)

Thanks! I will try that half and half bit. I am just glad I don't have to do the pwc with a dang bucket! I would have had to start that like ummm.....yesterday! LOL!
Well thankfully I live in a bitty town were our water/sewer is only $58/mo, no matter how much you use.

MFD thanks for the tip I havnt gotten my water bill since I started using my DIY python. good thing I grabbed another 25' of hose.

I add mine when there is about 2" left to be filled in the tank then shower the remaining water in, helps stir it up and encourages breeding.

That may be, but you are still america's hat.

Dont feel bad, mexico is our beard.
;)

One thing i have started doing is just keeping the python hooked up to the sink long enough to do my vac, then just sticking the hose outside to siphon out the rest of what im removing.
Not quite following that - why hook it up to the sink at all when pulling from the tank? I just throw mine out the window and do my vac & siphon. It actually goes slower since I started using my python (50 foot, drop hose out window and down to the lawn, at least 8 feet below my tank) than it did when I used a bucket with a smaller diameter siphon/vac. I figured it would be the opposite, maybe it's the horizontal distance. Anyways, I have more time to siphon off just the top (slower is better!)

I just add the full dose of Prime 1/2 way through adding. But like has been said, to each their own.

Mixing in bucket ahead of time is ideal, but I did "ideal" for 6 months and it bites hauling 6 5g buckets up and down the stairs weekly.

Well i dont have that big of a drop between my tanks and the ground... theres not much suction from just the natural siphoning, especially compared to the suction that the sink creates... ive just not had any luck vacuuming without having it hooked to the sink... but im sure if i could drop the hose down a few more feet it would work much better.

MFD a shorter hose will help especially if you have slack in your hose now, usually have the outlet as close to the ground as possible. Mine also siphons faster without the faucet's help. my tank is 3' above my floor and about 4' below my window.

yeah if only i had a window within spitting distance of my tank. All of my tanks are strategically placed in the worst possible spots... my python barely reaches one, and the other is about 3" closer to the tank than the hose is long, so shorter hose is totally out of the question lol... i think when i build a house, its going to have a sink every 20' and a window right with it

HAHAHA! That's a lot of sinks!

BTW- Good news! I didn't flood my house with the fist siphon water change!
Bad news- My adapter doesn't fit on the sink OR the shower.....Guess I a new sink faucet because running the hose outside during the winter doesn't work all that well lol!

no, go to your local hardware store... they make an adapter for them. Mine has these smaller fine threads that are nowhere the size of a water hose end... mine was made for a dishwasher.. i just took in my little silver air dispursing thingymajiggermabob and matched the threads to an adapter that screws on the sink then the python screws on to it... oh and you may want to keep a pair of vice grips handy if you dont want to get wet when washing your hands lol... i have to take the adapter off every time i use it

I didn't get a python. I went the cheap route and just got the inline valve and bought 20ft of tubing from Home Depot. The problem is I don't have enough threads on my sink faucet lol.

Back
Top Bottom