PWC Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jlk said:
What type of conditioner is it? As long as it dechlorinates thats the primary issue but Prime is well recommended on this site (esp cycling) because it helps to limit the toxicity of ammonia, nitrite & nitrate. :)

Right on it, prime is a winner, I also recommend it.

And to be safe, or atleast till you have your test kit. I'd do 50% daily pwcs.

two additional questions...

1- do i add the required amount of water conditioner with every water change?

2- in the entire life time of the tank, how many times will this 6-8 week water cycle take place? from what i've read people are hinting that it only technically happens once, after that its all minor water changes and testing

HopefulHobbiest said:
50% seems excessive but if it needs to be done then that's what I'll do :)
Maybe so, but I always like being on the safe side.. :) and once you have your kit we'll know how much you need to change. You could probably just do every other day and be fine.
HopefulHobbiest said:
two additional questions...

1- do i add the required amount of water conditioner with every water change?

2- in the entire life time of the tank, how many times will this 6-8 week water cycle take place? from what i've read people are hinting that it only technically happens once, after that its all minor water changes and testing

1) yes
2) just this once unless something bad happens. (You change the filter, which you never do til its absolutly nessesary, instead of rising it in old tank water)

So you never really change a filter until its literally falling apart?? Either way that's easy for me... I have two filter media in my filter so theoretically I could swap one at a time but only if neccessary

HopefulHobbiest said:
So you never really change a filter until its literally falling apart?? Either way that's easy for me... I have two filter media in my filter so theoretically I could swap one at a time but only if neccessary

Yes, when you think it needs to, when absolutly nessesary, put a new filter pad behind the old one for a couple weeks, the take the old one out. Make since?

HopefulHobbiest said:
I'm going to test my tank shortly and I'll post my result...
I have the test strips and a drip test for ammonia.

Let's see what I get

Oh good! Having a liquid test for ammonia is good, that will tell us how much needs to be changed.

Tank temp 76-78

Ammonia test STRIP 1.0-3.0 (crappy that the measurement sections jump like that)

Ph-7.2
Alka 80-120
Chlorine 0
Hardness 75-150
Nitrite .5
Nitrate <20

Ammonia drip test .5-1.0

HopefulHobbiest said:
Tank temp 76-78

Ammonia test STRIP 1.0-3.0 (crappy that the measurement sections jump like that)

Ph-7.2
Alka 80-120
Chlorine 0
Hardness 75-150
Nitrite .5
Nitrate <20

Ammonia drip test .5-1.0

That looks a lot better than I thought, looks like your half way through the cycle. That may be the bacteria additive though..

Key to the game is to keep ammomia and nitrite under .5ppm. So once one of them gets there, water change. Personally I'd just do a 50%. It'll save you from doing a ton of smaller ones. You can do a bigger one if you want, but that's a good starting point.

Your nitrite is .5ppm if you do a 50% pwc it'll then be .25ppm. Its all proportional.

Just make sure to temp match the new water!

1/2hr should be fine. If your tank is turning over a decent gph this should be more than enough time. :)

Last edited:
Ok so this is how I did the pwc, please correct me if I did something wrong...

Drain 50% of 55G tank.
Add water conditioner to remaining water in tank(measured dose for full 55g)
Refill tank
Let run for 30-45mins

Test results

Water temp 76-78

Ammonia STRIP .5-1.0

5 in 1 test strip
Ph-6.8-7.2
Alka-80-120
Chlor-0
Hard-75-150
Rite-0-.5
Rate-0-20

Ammonia drip

Don't think the pwc did much lol but here it is

Ok so this is how I did the pwc, please correct me if I did something wrong...

Drain 50% of 55G tank.
Add water conditioner to remaining water in tank(measured dose for full 55g)
Refill tank
Let run for 30-45mins

Test results

Water temp 76-78

Ammonia STRIP .5-1.0

5 in 1 test strip
Ph-6.8-7.2
Alka-80-120
Chlor-0
Hard-75-150
Rite-0-.5
Rate-0-20

Ammonia drip

Don't think the pwc did much lol but here it is
Well no mater what it does help, we wont know for sure till you get a the API kit. Its just not accurate. But it did help, trust me:)

Back
Top Bottom