PWC with fish in the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sahabo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So is it really stressful for my betta to leave him in the tank while I do the partial water changes? I mean, he doesn't seem stressed out...he follows around the siphon like "hey what's that, what's that, lemme see!" But it could be stressing him out and I'm just not realizing it. I've read on some sites that I'm supposed to take him out during the pwc's.

I think that my betta might be losing some color, like his lovely royal blue is receding from his head and upper body to be a gray or light black. I've read that stress can do that. But he acts completely normal, energetic, eats very well, no signs of illness that I can see.

What do you all think?

It is mildly stressful but not nearly as stressful as taking him out would be. After a while they get used to it. How often and how much are you changing each time?

Well, I am just starting out cycling my tank, so I've been changing about 25-50% whenever I test for ammonia and get a positive result, maybe every 3 - 4 days.

I think my fish enjoy the PWC process. The swim all around the python and play with my hand while I'm in there working.

I think my fish enjoy the PWC process. The swim all around the python and play with my hand while I'm in there working.

Yep, same here.

My yo yo botia loach thinks my freckles are flakes and bites me. It's weird, when he (and some others!) pick at me, I know it's just a little fish yet I can't keep my hand from jerking out of the tank (flinging water). Funny huh?

If anything, i think my fish think it's play time. Once a gourami (I think, if I'm remembering right) got too close and got sucked up against it only to freak out and swim free. He was fine but surely felt embarassed and slightly peeved.

In my shrimp tank they absolutely love it. They swim in and out of the python, riding in the current. I had to start putting a micron bag over the end because a few met their fate getting a little to courageous.

I agree with Zagz - taking the betta out of the tank and putting him elsewhere while you do the water change would be more stressful to him. He will soon get used to the siphon. When I do water changes, one betta tries to hide in the plants and the other one always follows the sipnon around and tries to chase the debris going up the tube. I don't think the one hiding in the plants is stressed. He's just trying to get out of the way. Your betta will soon get used to the water-changing routine too.

I have one harlequin rasbora who always swims inside the vac chamber, turns neat the top where the tube is an swims out, presumably against the current. I have to fight him during the process, and I'm starting to think he's a little bit "special".

The rest tend to stay out of the way.

I have had a clown loach mistake my finger for a frozen cube of bloodworms. That'll freak you out. biggest clown in a little under 6 inches so his mouth has quite some power. My fish usually investigate the python from a distance.

You were all right. Corwin is definitely getting used to the pwc's and I think he kinda likes it. He such a curious little guy! Thanks for all the stories of you experiences :)

Back
Top Bottom