Pythons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garth7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

I have been surfing through these forums for awhile. I have seen that a lot of people are set on the pythons. At first I had no clue what this was... I did a search and found that this is used to clean the tank, remove water, and fill the tank. I think this could be a huge item to aid me.

I am a little weary on using it to fill the tank though. I have a sink that is less that 20 ft from my tank. I seen how you can use the hose to attatch to the faucet and start filling. My question is how would you be able to use faucet and still use the declorinating chemicals? Is there something I am missing. If I fill my tank with water directly won't the clorine kill my nitrfying bacteria?

Just a question before I make a mistake....

Thanks for all you do!
Doug

You can add the dechlorinator to the tank while you're filling it. I know this works for many people who post here. Do a search for python on here; there was a recent thread very similar to your question, and many people chimed in about using dechlorinator while the tank is filling.

HTH
LandGhoti

You just add the dechlor while or just before you refill the tank. Add enough for the total volume of the tank. A python is the best purchase I ever made except for the tanks themselves.

I recommend using Prime dechlorinator. A little goes a long way and with the Python, its best to treat the whole tank. A capful of Prime will treat around 55g I think....so the bottle lasts awhile.

I have been using my Python for a year this way and have had no problems dechloring this way. And I know others haven't either...so yes you can add water and dechlor at the same time.

Pythons are awesome. Everyone with an aquarium over 10g or so should have one. :D

Thanks guys and gals!!! This is what I have been looking for. I have a 55 gal. I have used the primer in the past. While the bottle is more expensive on the shelf, the overall expense is cheaper... Plus with that smell it has to work right?

I think im gonna get one of these.

Doug

I love the Python. Since purchasing one it has made water changes a breeze. They don't waste much water at all. I remember reading somewhere that it said about the equivelant of one shower.

After Prime "ages" it starts to have a funky smell. That's normal. The first time I noticed the smell I thought it had gone bad and threw it out. lol Should have asked here first.

When you use Python, you never know what you have lost!

If your fishes are small one, please don't use Python. I have 10 and 30 gallon tanks with small fishes like platy, zebra danio, etc. Everytime I use gravel vaccum and bucket to change water, I find tiny fries in the bottom of the bucket. Actually, this is the way I collect the fries. I change 20% water every 2-4 days and I am eager to change the water because it is a fun to find some new fries. (I know I must lose some fries, they are eaten by the adult fishes, and also eggs I can't see.)

If you use Python, you won't find any fries in the drained water.

Fishyfanatic said:
I love the Python. Since purchasing one it has made water changes a breeze. They don't waste much water at all. I remember reading somewhere that it said about the equivelant of one shower.

In some cases, you don't even need to waste any water. I recently discovered that I can run the faucet to get the suction going but then go ahead and turn if off completely and the water will still drain because the sink is slightly lower than my tank.

Back
Top Bottom