QT tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
What all does a QT tank need? Does it need to be set up all the time? How long do you need to keep fish in QT?

all you need is a bare tank, an adjustable heater, a filter running on another tank (for instantly cycling the qt), a couple pieces of short pvc pipe (for the fish to hide in), and patience... if youre qt'ing before you put them in your main tank, i do 2-4 weeks just to watch for disease. if there is disease, you of course want to wait until they are healthy to put them in

You don't even need a tank .. I use one of those see through rubbermaid bins (I use a 30 gal). When not in use, the bin store all my excess fish stuff. I just put the QT's filter pad in my sump so I don't have to run the filter. But it is OK to run 2 filters in your main tank, esp. when it is overstocked. <Or filter undersized.>

Depends on the fish & source for length of QT. 2 weeks minimum for me, longer if I am doubtful of the source. If you are keeping fancy koi, you would QT up to 6-12 months. <Koi viruses may not show up until the fish had overwintered, may wipe out your entire pond, and there is no cure.>

Back
Top Bottom