quarantine new arrivals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loubeardy

Aquarium Advice Activist
how exactly do I quarantine fish? obviously in a separate tank, but does that separate tank need a filter? how long should I quarantine for? what signs am I looking for during quarantine? (I am getting some otos)

I usually quarantine for about 2 weeks in a 20g with no substrate, a few pieces of decor, and, yes, a filter. Look for any visible signs of disease or distress, such as Ick, raised scales or bloated bellies indicating Dropsy, signs of fin rot, discoloration of scales or eyes, etc, inflamed gills . . . Observe the behavior of the fish regularly for any abnormalities. Basically the same things you look for in the the fish in your show tank(s).

I usually quarantine for about 2 weeks in a 20g with no substrate, a few pieces of decor, and, yes, a filter. Look for any visible signs of disease or distress, such as Ick, raised scales or bloated bellies indicating Dropsy, signs of fin rot, discoloration of scales or eyes, etc, inflamed gills . . . Observe the behavior of the fish regularly for any abnormalities. Basically the same things you look for in the the fish in your show tank(s).
thank you :) this sounds easy enough... although my quaretine tank won't be the luxury of a 20 gallon. I have done a bit of research and every where says no substrate. why is this? am I missing something really obvious?

For me, having no substrate makes cleaning after use much easier. Also, substrate just gives another place for unwanted bacteria and parasites to hide. You don't need a very large tank to quarantine. I use a 20g because I mostly have cichlids, and though I typically buy juvenile or sub-adult fish, it isn't unusual for me to bring them home at 4-5", so I need the tank for space. By rights, I should actually have an even larger quarantine tank. However, it doesn't even have to be a real tank. I know people who quarantine in an appropriate sized rubber tote.

Substrates can harbor nasties and just basic waste which if needed will compromise the effectiveness of meds. For deco or 'shelter' many cut up PVC pipes and use plastic plants.

2 weeks is also not really long enough. Some diseases/ parasites have a 6 week life cycle so I would QT for at least that long.

brilliant, thank you guys :) makes sense about the substrate :) I'll put a few hidey holes in so they feel safe.
I'll be picking them up tomorrow (or rather my sister will be as a late Xmas pressie)

Back
Top Bottom