Quarantine Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not a must, I mean of course it helps make your fish safe, I don't use one and have never had a huge accident, but I like to keep ick guard and fungus guard at hand

I'm gonna go against the grain and say it is a must, although most don't have them. I've had absolutely horrific luck with ich every time I add a fish lol. Oh god, the horrible memories. Not to mention many fish from big retailers are infested with internal parasites and/or gill flukes. Adding one infected fish (even if they look healthy, they can sill be infected) can infect all of your fish. You've probably got tons of fish, which add up to a lot of cash in your main tank. Why let one fish screw everything up. Just a small, 10g tank with a cheap filter and heater is needed and can save your butt.

I'm gonna go against the grain and say it is a must, although most don't have them. I've had absolutely horrific luck with ich every time I add a fish lol. Oh god, the horrible memories. Not to mention many fish from big retailers are infested with internal parasites and/or gill flukes. Adding one infected fish (even if they look healthy, they can sill be infected) can infect all of your fish. You've probably got tons of fish, which add up to a lot of cash in your main tank. Why let one fish screw everything up. Just a small, 10g tank with a cheap filter and heater is needed and can save your butt.
Where do you recommend me getting my fish? Since retailers could have infected fish?

Where do you recommend me getting my fish? Since retailers could have infected fish?

Well, not all of them are infected. But chances are, they've all been exposed to some kind of disease at some point in their journey to the store. Buying direct from breeders is always good, and I've had good luck from wet spot tropical fish (online store).

But just look through all the tanks at the store and if there are ich infested/diseased fish in a certain tank, don't buy from that tank.

Sorry, I think My original post made it seem like all fish are sick/diseased, but that's not true. You just have to be cautious and you should be okay. A quarantine period (even a short one) is a lifesaver in my book

Hah lol, better to have it there
And the weird part is that I have a 55 gallon in the living room, and I'm the one that pays for everything but my parents don't want another one

Hah lol, better to have it there
And the weird part is that I have a 55 gallon in the living room, and I'm the one that pays for everything but my parents don't want another one

Mine are the same way :( I have a spot for another one, but it's always a no. I guess I'll wait until after college :)

So I have a 10g right now that is acting as a fry tank. once I move them into the main tank I will have no fish/bio load in there, do you guys keep your quarantine tank cycled? If so how?

Back
Top Bottom