Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quarentine tank?

I understand the concept of the quarantine tank, and it seems like a really good idea. I'm a relatively new enthusiast who only has two tanks. one 20 gal and one 55 gal. I don't add fish very often. I'd like to quarantine new fish, but how do I maintain a quarantine tank when there are no fish to inhabit it. I don't want to cycle the tank every time I want to add fish. Would I have to keep sacrificial fish in the quarantine tank to maintain the environment? Doesn't seem humane. Also, my 20 gal is a community tank and my 55 gal is semi aggressive. Any fish I kept in a quarantine tank might be at the mercy of the fish under quarantine. Last question. I've read where people keep quarantine tanks anywhere from 3 to 20 gallons. Is there a right size?

Old 05-17-2015, 09:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

You can always put shrimp and snails in. They work with almost anything

-Weston --Sent Via The Space Time Continuum--

Old 05-17-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quarentine tank?

Keep 1 or 2 sponge filters running on your main tank then you just set up a quarantine whenever needed. Sponge filters will hold a cycle so you don't have to cycle it every time. 20g is a good size for all small- medium size fish.

Edit: or just run an extra HOB. I run double filtration on all of my larger tanks.

Caleb
Old 05-17-2015, 10:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks

Thanks. That makes perfect sense.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
Keep 1 or 2 sponge filters running on your main tank then you just set up a quarantine whenever needed. Sponge filters will hold a cycle so you don't have to cycle it every time. 20g is a good size for all small- medium size fish.

Edit: or just run an extra HOB. I run double filtration on all of my larger tanks.

Caleb
Dangit Caleb you stole my line! I agree though, I run a sponge filter on all of my tanks so I can easily set up a quarantine any time. It's a simple cheap filter that only requires an air pump to work. You can even make them yourself.

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com