Quarentine tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crustyshellback

Aquarium Advice Regular
I understand the concept of the quarantine tank, and it seems like a really good idea. I'm a relatively new enthusiast who only has two tanks. one 20 gal and one 55 gal. I don't add fish very often. I'd like to quarantine new fish, but how do I maintain a quarantine tank when there are no fish to inhabit it. I don't want to cycle the tank every time I want to add fish. Would I have to keep sacrificial fish in the quarantine tank to maintain the environment? Doesn't seem humane. Also, my 20 gal is a community tank and my 55 gal is semi aggressive. Any fish I kept in a quarantine tank might be at the mercy of the fish under quarantine. Last question. I've read where people keep quarantine tanks anywhere from 3 to 20 gallons. Is there a right size?

You can always put shrimp and snails in. They work with almost anything

-Weston --Sent Via The Space Time Continuum--

Keep 1 or 2 sponge filters running on your main tank then you just set up a quarantine whenever needed. Sponge filters will hold a cycle so you don't have to cycle it every time. 20g is a good size for all small- medium size fish.

Edit: or just run an extra HOB. I run double filtration on all of my larger tanks.

Caleb

Keep 1 or 2 sponge filters running on your main tank then you just set up a quarantine whenever needed. Sponge filters will hold a cycle so you don't have to cycle it every time. 20g is a good size for all small- medium size fish.

Edit: or just run an extra HOB. I run double filtration on all of my larger tanks.

Caleb

Dangit Caleb you stole my line! I agree though, I run a sponge filter on all of my tanks so I can easily set up a quarantine any time. It's a simple cheap filter that only requires an air pump to work. You can even make them yourself.

Back
Top Bottom