Question about Air/Co2/Pumps Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi AA people,

My knowledge of everything aquarium is novice at best, so I'm sorry if this quesiton comes off a little stupid. Anyway, I've heard in a lot of cases that air pumps, air stones, etc. aren't necessary due to gas exchange in water agitation? I have a Nano Cube 12 gallon that shoots water out from the back compartment through a power nozzle that sort of makes the water ripple on the surface. I also have this modular surface skimmer device that came with the tank that I placed over the water intake grill on the back wall of the aquarium (that says on the package that its suppose to help with gas exchange). I'm guessing there is some sort of water agitation going on there, is that enough? Moreover, when I purchased everything for my tank (that I just setup about a month ago), I also, for the heck of it, got an air pump and air stone to make sure there's enough oxygen in the tank (it's what I knew as a kid... pre-research). I don't have live plants in the tank so I'm guessing an airstone is ideal for providing oxygen to the fish & bacteria? While I'm waiting for my tank to cycle, I've been stopping in numerious LFS just to browse. One store in particular had a pretty cool looking C02 diffuser in it that would shoot out little micro-bubbles.. I know that the C02 systems are for live-planted tanks but I'm wondering if there's something like the diffuser that I can use for a standard air pump or is an air stone my only option? I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I like how the tiny air bubbles look over the large ones that shoot out of my air stone. What are my options?

Here's what I saw at a LFS:
diyco2lots4ye.jpg

well air stones dont do anything that surface agitation from the filter, powerhead, etc do. Its not the bubbles in the water, its the bubbles breaking at the surface allowing co2 to escape and oxygen to enter in. I dont run air pumps on any of my tanks. i think they take away from the natural look that i try to achieve. Theyre one of the more overrated things in the aquarium trade imo. For the most part, what you're asking about would be less effective than actually having the hose stuck in the tank with no stone on it (because it would create more agitation at the top)

I dont run air pumps on any of my tanks. i think they take away from the natural look that i try to achieve.

Interesting... Do you have live plants or something that would produce the oxygen to compensate? If you're not using an air pump, how do you know if there's enough oxygenated water? The more I read in to this hobby and look at other setups, the more I want to head down that more natural looking route. LOL

well ive got plants in one, but i dont in my other two. i have plenty of surface agitation and my fish dont gasp and stay at the surface. you can tell by the fish if there is enough oxygen in the water, just like we do, they gasp for air if they dont have enough oxygen

do you have a pic of your set up? sounds like a hob filter but not 100% sure. if you are getting ripples in the tank more often then not thats plenty of air. in most tanks you dont need the extra agitation that air pumps add.

as for how you know by watching your fish. if they are at the top of the water gasping for air then they prob need more agitation.

do you have a pic of your set up? sounds like a hob filter but not 100% sure. if you are getting ripples in the tank more often then not thats plenty of air. in most tanks you dont need the extra agitation that air pumps add.

as for how you know by watching your fish. if they are at the top of the water gasping for air then they prob need more agitation.

It's not a HOB filter. The 3-stage filter is all contained in the back compartments integrated in the tank. The back of the tank is all black so it sorta makes for a clean look by concealing all the components (including the heater).

Here are some pics I took (I apologize for the poor quality pics, they're from my cellphone camera).

This one has the hood up so that you can see the compartments in the back:
img_1077454_0_d127eded975264fa6902d93a1753ecf5.jpg

And this one is the set up... The blue light is unfortunately intensified because of the bacteria bloom my tank is going through at the moment.
img_1077454_1_5cde912f365727bc6d987f6a3543ac08.jpg

looks like a over flow and pumps it back out.... i would bet it has plenty of o2 getting into the water.

Good to know.. so I can basically pull out the air stone and I should be good. Thanx guys!

Back
Top Bottom