Question about caves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ketso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an idea for a cave that hinges on the question, however dumb one might think it is, "Do caves need cleaned under?"

I am thinking about using ceramic tile (new, I have several pieces left over from my bathroom remodel) to create a sort of box with a decent sized opening for a cave. Then take and bury it in a mound of substrate and do plantings on the mound. This wont work if I would need to clean it out on a regular basis though.

As always, any help is appreciated.

But it will work if you make hooked end for your gravelwasher...sort of like a crevice tool???

redswi said:
But it will work if you make hooked end for your gravelwasher...sort of like a crevice tool???
Possibly. Have to put some thought behind that. The fortunate part about it is that the tile looks somewhat like the substrate. I might be able to put a floor in it as well and use a bottle brush to sweep it out. Would need an escape route though. I'm sure a brush coming through the door would freak out even the most fearsome fishy. Hmmmmm .......

When I had a permanent cave I reversed the gravel washer and used the small end of the tube to vacuum every couple weeks. I didn't notice a lot of filth in there, but just to be safe!

Now I just have small pleco tubes, which I dump out and replace when I clean the gravel weekly. Mostly snails in there. And angry plecos.

Back
Top Bottom