Question about cleaning test kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Syazman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I've been spending some time reading about cycling and the importance of test kits and everything really about maintaining a freshwater tank but I've a question about cleaning the test tubes that came with my API freshwater master test kit. How do I clean them? Do I just use chlorinated tap water and rinse them or do I use treated water like I do with my filters and so on? Should i use a small pipe cleaner? Etc. Would love some advice on this. Thanks for reading!

This is my first post and I hope not the last :) the community here is brilliant!

Welcome to AA :)

Everybody has different methods. I just put a little water in, put the cap on, shake, and rinse a few times under the kitchen faucet. Some people get a little more in to it and go to the extent of using pipe cleaners and such, but I've never felt the need. Just as long as you rinse them out well.

Syazman said:
Hi! I've been spending some time reading about cycling and the importance of test kits and everything really about maintaining a freshwater tank but I've a question about cleaning the test tubes that came with my API freshwater master test kit. How do I clean them? Do I just use chlorinated tap water and rinse them or do I use treated water like I do with my filters and so on? Should i use a small pipe cleaner? Etc. Would love some advice on this. Thanks for reading!

This is my first post and I hope not the last :) the community here is brilliant!

Welcome aboard!

+1 fort got it right.

I forgot to clean one out once and just used a Q-tip (actually a med swab) to give it an extra good cleaning.

I usually just rinse them out under the tap. I have trouble with the nitrite test though. It stains the test tube blue and is a nightmare to wash off, so I rinse it out to start with and I rinse it out again just before I use it.

Ok. I guess it's ok to just rinse it out under the tap then. As long as it's thorough and no trace of the test chemicals. I guess I was being overly cautious :p

Thanks everyone! Hopefully, when I get sufficiently good at maintaining my tank i can contribute more to this forum :)

Back
Top Bottom