Question about cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I setup a 55 gallon tank about a week and a half ago and am doing an in-fish cycle. Currently my water readings are ammonia 1, nitrite 1, and nitrate 20. I'm doing feelings every other day and started adding the good bacteria from my LFS yesterday. They told me to double dose (4 oz every 3 days). Do my numbers look normal for being a week and a half in?

1ppm of ammonia and nitrite for a fish-in cycle are on the high side. I suggest a big water change or two to drop these down to .25ppm or less. Toxin levels should be kept at minimal levels during a fish-in cycle to limit a fish's exposure. Using Prime or Amquel plus as your water conditioner is suggested as either product will help to keep toxins in a less dangerous state between water changes. Please read the article below and ask any questions! :)

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

With fish in cycling you need to keep your ammonia and nitrite under .25 ppm. I would do a 75% water change and recheck. Make sure you are using a liquid test kit. Strips are horribly inaccurate.

With fish in cycling you need to keep your ammonia and nitrite under .25 ppm. I would do a 75% water change and recheck. Make sure you are using a liquid test kit. Strips are horribly inaccurate.

Will do.

I am using the API Freshwater Master Test Kit

Just did a 50% water change and added appropriate amount of API stress coat.

You'll want to do another 50%. You need to keep that ammonia at or below 25%.

You'll want to do another 50%. You need to keep that ammonia at or below 25%.

Did another 50% water change earlier today and checked the levels about 2 hours after

Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

So, your tank is definitely on it's way to being cycled, as you have nitrites and nitrates, meaning both of those bacteria are present in your tank. Now you just need to wait a bit longer so that the colonies can build themselves up. You will know your tank is cycled when you have 0 ammonia or nitrites (or extremely close to there). You also made a great choice with your test kit! The API liquid test kits are very reliable! So, as the others said, keep testing and doing water changes as needed (safe levels are under .25 ammonia or 20 nitrates (technically, though you should really strive for 0 once your tank is cycled)). Watch for signs of stress (which you seem to be doing) and signs of ammonia burn/fin rot (reddening and loss of the edges of fins). Even after the tank seems cycled, continue testing often for a bit after in case of a "micro-cycle", where the parameters can go out of balance for a short time. Good luck!!! And congrats on a new tank!

Latest numbers from today are ammonia 0.5, nitrite 0, and nitrate 20

Back
Top Bottom