Question about heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

picture_117

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If the heater is touching the substrate just a bit does it matter?

I have PFS and the heater is sort of resting on top of it, there's nothing wrong with that is there?

I really have no idea. If you're concerned about it you can raise it up a bit so it isn't touching the sand? Or if it's too high you can angle it so it's still underwater but not touching the bottom.

Yeah I couldn't raise it up, I angled it diagonally.

For the first 24 hours does the heater take time to heat up the tank?

If the water you put in is cold, I found it took my tank a good one and a half days to get to the perfect temperature.

After that, it will only kick on if the Water falls below the allotted temp.

Yes it probably could. Did you let the heater float in the water for a while before you plugged it in? I'm not sure if that's necessary, but the instructions usually say to do that. When I refilled last night my water was very very cold (fishless cycle, don't worry lol), the temp plummeted from 84 to below 70. The heater took a good hour or two to get the temp back up, so starting from scratch I guess it could take that long to heat up initially. If you can get an in-tank mercury thermometer to stick on the glass just to make sure the heater is working properly, it might be a good idea. I keep a thermometer just so I know the actual temp of the water matches what I set the heater to.

Yes it said 30 minutes but I got side tracked so it was much longer than that. Yes I have a glass thermometer measuring the temp it seems to be working.

My tank water was 40 degrees when I pit it on, no wonder why it took so long!

I wasn't paying attention and it was February, so the cold was like mega cold. But your should heat up pretty fasa!

Tomorrow morning the water will be perfect! I hope your fishless cycle goes well! Did you start today? Or is tomorrow the day?

It may have slowed the cycle a little. Do you have nitrite readings yet?

Okay well question!

On the nitrAte test, is the test supposed to be add bottle 1 & shake for a bit and then add bottle 2 and shake for a minute? I know it says it in the instructions but I needed clarification on that.

I was very confused on that too. You put the bottle one drops in, then bottle two then shake.

Back
Top Bottom