Question about heaters???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lokismom808

Aquarium Advice Regular
Everything I've been reading mentions that you have to have a heater in your tank, okay so this may be a stupid question....I live in Hawaii and our temp seldom if ever gets below 60 degrees so do I really need to install a heater in my tanks? One is a five gallon and the other is a ten gallon.

Depends on your fish and their requirements. I was able to run my reef without a heater in my old house since with my AC it kept everything right where I wanted it but they are good to have to keep night fluctuations to a minimum.

Mrc8858 said:
Depends on your fish and their requirements. I was able to run my reef without a heater in my old house since with my AC it kept everything right where I wanted it but they are good to have to keep night fluctuations to a minimum.

Thank you for your help, and you're right I think I'll invest in the heaters since my fish are tropical fish.
✌Aloha

You probably don't need one if the water stays at a constant proper temp but I keep a heater in my goldies tanks just in the event I ever need to use it. Just as a precaution.

I don't use heaters on most of my tanks either, the temps stay about mid 70s. I think it's a luxury for us in subtropical/tropical climates, or if you have awesome central heat & air.

Consistency is also important, as small bodies of water like our tanks can swing in temperature much faster than even the smallest pond.

Rivercats said:
You probably don't need one if the water stays at a constant proper temp but I keep a heater in my goldies tanks just in the event I ever need to use it. Just as a precaution.

Thanks ✌

jetajockey said:
I don't use heaters on most of my tanks either, the temps stay about mid 70s. I think it's a luxury for us in subtropical/tropical climates, or if you have awesome central heat & air.

I agree and I think my lights would also heat up the water.

What part of Hawaii do you live in? I'm in Honolulu so my tanks maintain at around 79-80 degrees without a heater, but if you're up high like in Volcano on the Big Island then you'd prob need a heater for sure.

azmodan said:
What part of Hawaii do you live in? I'm in Honolulu so my tanks maintain at around 79-80 degrees without a heater, but if you're up high like in Volcano on the Big Island then you'd prob need a heater for sure.

Hi Azmodan
I'm on Kauai and I'm near sea level. My tanks fluctuate between 82 and 84 so I think I should be fine without a heater. Do you have any live plants in your tanks and if you do where do you get them from? Here on Kauai I'm forced to get them on EBay which is okay but at times very expensive.

Yup, all of my tanks are planted and I get them all locally (although I have purchased some online too). A lot of members here sell plants so check the classified board. The shipping generally isn't too expensive since plants don't require next day shipping.

On my betta tank, I used to run no heater but got one because it was simply too cold

Back
Top Bottom