Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2005, 12:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

question about my new (used) tank

I have the tank I just got sitting on my porch full of water and so far the seals seem fine. But then I noticed that the plastic piece that goes around the top of the tank is cracked on one of the corners. It's not really attached to the tank anymore so I am guessing I should silicone it to the top of the tank. Will the cracked part be a problem? Also, if the tank sits there for a couple days without leaking, should I assume the seals are ok even though the tank looks pretty old- old enough that the tape that held the background on it is yellowed. Anyway, should I go ahead and reseal it? TIA

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 12:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it were me, I would reseal it. If done properly, you would have the peace of mind knowing that it shouldn't bust. But again, that's just me.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

You can re-seal the plastic piece as long as the rest of it is still attached without any breeches in integrity.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Gorilla (polyurethane) glue would do a better job then silicone..
Old 07-31-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks GM. Would I find that at a hardware store? Is the crack in the plastic piece going to be a problem you think?
Old 07-31-2005, 09:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, I think most hardware and big department stores sell the glue. I know ace hardware and walmart sell it. Once repaired it shouldnt be a problem, it wouldnt really be a problem at all unless the crack is in the seam of the corner.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

What do you mean in the seam of the corner? The crack is in the plastic part and not in the glass, just in case I didn't clarify too well. But when I was looking at the tank last night, I noticed another crack in the opposite corner of the plastic, so there are actually 2 cracks. It looks like someone tried (and succeeded) to pull the plastic part off the top of the tank. Both the cracks in the plastic do go up the corners, is this what you're talking about that would be a problem? I can post pics if you want. If this is going to be an issue for a fish tank, maybe I will look into reptiles. TIA
Old 08-02-2005, 12:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, normally I don't *bump* my threads, but I really need help knowing if this tank is safe for fish or if I should start considering reptiles instead. I get paid tonight and I can start getting equipment. Please help! TIA
Old 08-02-2005, 12:49 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Severum...didn't catch your post from yesterday. How is the tank doing so far in regard to leaks? If you have no leaks up to this point, the tank will hold up (did you also do the "stress test")?

This plastic is the molding...makes the tank look neat and hides the seals. Gluing it back only helps and will not disturb the integrity of the tank itself (if it did, the tank would have cracked while you were transporting it).

A pic of the damage can help also.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tank has been holding water with no leaks since Saturday. It is on my porch where people walk by it all the time, and I have been jumping around next to it to test it as well. I'm sure I look ridiculous to the neighbors.

I thought that's what I would hear, but I just wanted to be as safe as possible with it and make sure I am not overlooking anything. Thanks for the help! I'm sure I will be cruising the mission store later this week for sturdy furniture.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

the plastic trim is also there to add support to the walls of the aquarium, if you poly glue the corners back together I dont see any problems arising from this..
What I ment is if the cracks were not from the trim corners it wouldnt be affected but you can still repair it.. sorry the site was buggy when you posted before.. I lost all my "has not been read flags" or I would have caught the question.. :P

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com