Question about Nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, just finished a 50% water change. I'll wait a couple hours and see how it looks. I thought the tank would clear up a little since it's been kinda cloudy but it's still cloudy. Hopefully that EHIEM canister filter gets here soon.

The cloudiness is normal... it happens a lot to new tanks. It is most likely a bacteria bloom. It will clear up in a few days.

yeah the strips are crap, I like the liquid test kits.

It seems for me that even when I put enough ammonia in my tank to get it up to 8+ ppm, my nitrites won't get any higher than 1-2 before they spike and start going down LOL so perhaps your high nitrite spike is a good thing (although not for your fish)

Well, I'm not experienced to know exactly what's going on but my readings are

Ammonia 0
Nitrates 40
Nitrites 3

Nitrites down from 5 but my nitrates are now up from 20. Another 50% water change I take it?

Now we're getting somewhere. Another 50% water change and nitrates are down 20 and Nitrites down to 1. PH holding steady at 8.0. Not that I want PH to drop but shouldn't it be dropping with all these water changes? Just curious.

Better... But still in the danger zone.

Your pH should not drop because of pwcs...

Thanks fort384 and everybody. Good to learn from experienced people like yourselves

Quick question. After all the continuous days of 50% water changes, I had gotten my Nitrites in the good range. After a couple days of after that, my Nitrites spiked again. Back up to 3. What the heck?!?! Could adding another filter help keep Nitrite levels down?

onyx said:
Now we're getting somewhere. Another 50% water change and nitrates are down 20 and Nitrites down to 1. PH holding steady at 8.0. Not that I want PH to drop but shouldn't it be dropping with all these water changes? Just curious.

Your tap water may have a ph of 8.0 if your concerned with it then I would test your water. Some fish don't do well in high ph levels while others do. So it might not be a bad thing depending on your fish.

And a new filter would be a bad idea while cycling, you need the bacteria that is already building in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Ok, thanks peeps. I'll continue with the water changes till it stabilizes again.

Until the cycle is finished, you may have to do daily water changes to keep it in check. Adding another filter will not help with this at all.

8.0 pH should be fine for almost all tropical fish. The key is just properly acclimating new fish so that they adjust and survive.

Until the cycle is finished, you may have to do daily water changes to keep it in check. Adding another filter will not help with this at all.

8.0 pH should be fine for almost all tropical fish. The key is just properly acclimating new fish so that they adjust and survive.
Yeah I have African Cichlids so this should be the optimal range for them. They seem to be thriving even with all these Nitrites in the water. They're tough little guys

Back
Top Bottom