question about python water changer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have just ordered me a 90 gallon tank. I currently have a 20 gallon tank that I am doing a fish in cylce. I have learned that PWC can be some heavy work. that being said, I am planning on doing a fishLESS cycle with the 90 gallon tank. even so, I am not sure how I will do these water chages. to do the PWC for the 20gallon I take the bucket, put it up on top of the ladder and use the syphon to empty the bucket into the tank. I raise the bucket so that it is higher than the tank (gravity to make it work). am I missing anything here?

OK, so here is the issue. when the 90 galon is set up I will need an even higher ladder to get this whole system to work. will a python help me out? I don't really have a faucet close by. it is at least a couple of rooms over. I don't mind the bucket method so much, just want to be able to leave the buckets on the floor to fill the tank. will the python allow me to do this? how does the python work? thanks for helping me out with my newbie questions!
:thanks:

Python will help you GREATLY!! I have one I use for my 75 gallon. I hook it up to the bathroom facet which is down the hall about 3 rooms away. To make it easier I use all of the 50 foot one.

I have NO issues with it. I did however have to get my plumber and get a few adapters to fit my faucet as my wife likes the fancy faucets. That was the only issue I had. Now it takes me maybe 15-20 minutes to do a water change. That's a 50% , treat and refill and clean up! Done and put away :)

Your thank yourself for getting it :)

Yea, you'll thank yourself in the end. I have a 55g that came with the python, and if it didn't, I would have gotten one before I bought anything else. I hook it up to my laundry tub faucet since its both in reach and the correct standard 3/4" (garden hose size) faucet. My tank is 50% changed in less than 15 minutes.

I was told by someone else that I don't want to get the python water changer because I want to be able to treat the water before I put it in the tank. also that it is hard to adjust the water temp this way.
any thoughts on this comment?
does anyone use the bucket method for a large tank (75 gallons or more)?

HeatherW said:
I was told by someone else that I don't want to get the python water changer because I want to be able to treat the water before I put it in the tank. also that it is hard to adjust the water temp this way.

I always treat the whole tank with prime just before I fill the tank back up with the python. It's pretty easy matching the temp to, I use my wrist, when the temp feels right I fill the tank up! :)

I treat the whole tank volume while I'm filling. I just use a thermometer on the sink water before I switch the valve to fill. Mine's the Aqueon 50 footer, but I hook it up once to do four tanks downstairs and then once to do my wife's tank upstairs. Needless to say, I was a whooped puppy when I was doing it bucket-style!

And I've read that the Python is stronger than the Aqueon? I'm not sure, but I may not be able to keep up with a faster change.

If you're not sure about the temp., just use a thermometer. You will be so glad you got one of these.

And I've read that the Python is stronger than the Aqueon? I'm not sure, but I may not be able to keep up with a faster change.
is there a difference in the brands? python / aqueon / Lee's

Hholly said:
I've heard that the Python is much faster at siphoning from the tank than the Aqueon.

That may be true but for me, I have to vac my gravel, so if it went any faster the water would go too low before I was finished. Mines just the Marina Aqua Vac.

Back
Top Bottom