Question about what fish to put in a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mananhammer

Aquarium Advice Regular
First post WOOT!!!

I am looking to start a 15 to 20 gallon tank and am looking for ideas of what fish to put in the tank. I am mostly interested in an active tank, but i would love to have a tank that has active parents. The kind of fish that follow the children around and such. Does anyone have any ideas that they could offer.

Thank you for the welcome.

Mollies are active parents to follow the kids around and such like that... Huh i dont remember that from when i had them when i was a kid.

Welcome to AA! :multi:

Guppies are pretty and easy to breed. Infact if you are not careful, you will be over run by them. Another of my favorite fish are corydoras. You could easily have a few in a twenty gallon, they are lots of fun to watch.

Thank you for you advice i was thinking of putting in kribensis or the scientific name of Pelvicachromis pulcher. From what i have heard they are very active parents and like cave dwellings. Has anyone had experience with these fish and keeping them with others?

Will they over populate the tank with the young? i have heard that they can have quite a few babies that is what i am concerned about.

If you would go with a 20 gallon instead of a 15, I would go with a pair of Julidochromis transcriptus and a trio of 'Lamprologus` multifasciatus. Both species are prolific, good parents, and have very interesting personalities. If you do these species though, make sure that you have enough shells for the multies to live in and rocks for the jullies to make caves out of.

Back
Top Bottom