Question from a Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lee A

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am getting ready to start a new 20 gallon tank. I plan to transfer my daugther's common pleco, named of all things Sucky Thing, to my tank, as he has gotten too big for the 3 gallon mini-tank. Will he get along with Cory Cats, and will he leave live plants alone? Thanks for the help!

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry, but Sucky will require a much larger tank. He can easily reach 12 inches in length.

Given the small tank you're thinking of placing him in, I can't say that it wouldn't bring out aggression in him towards the corys.

It would be best to rehome the pleco if you cannot purchase a very large tank for him.

Please forgive me for not being clear in my message. I can see where I may have confused people. Actually, I am getting the 20 gallon tank for Sucky Thing. We've become attached to the little fella and don't want to part with him until he is just too big to keep. When he does achieve whale status a local fish store has agreed to take him. I think they have a soft spot for plecos as they already have two giant common plecos that are awaiting new homes.

Welcome to AA!

LyndaB is right. The pleco will outgrow the tank pretty quickly. I'm glad to hear you've got a grow-out plan in place.

Pleco aggression is hit or miss. I had a rubberlip pleco that bullied catfish three times his size. Plecos usually don't eat the plants, but they may kill some leaves by rasping on them too much.

common plecos will leave plants alone, but once they reach 6"+, they will move around and all the plants will get uprooted:(

Back
Top Bottom