Question on Dechlorinate and water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duydawg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank

If I want to do a 10-20% change in water every week, are these the correct steps?

1) fill a bucket ( Let's assume the bucket size is significantly less than a gallon) with tap water
2) add A DROP of dechlorinate
3) let it reach room temperature
4) take out some old water ( from tank)
5) Replace with new water ( from bucket)

My main concern is using too much dechlorinate ( It says 2 drops per gallon )

Can I overdose on Dechlorinate?

Duydawg said:
I have a 10 gallon tank

If I want to do a 10-20% change in water every week, are these the correct steps?

1) fill a bucket ( Let's assume the bucket size is significantly less than a gallon) with tap water
2) add A DROP of dechlorinate
3) let it reach room temperature
4) take out some old water ( from tank)
5) Replace with new water ( from bucket)

My main concern is using too much dechlorinate ( It says 2 drops per gallon )

Can I overdose on Dechlorinate?

What dechlor are you using? I use Prime, I temp match the water going into the bucket by feel, fill the bucket, add my Prime about 1/2 a cap full & ferts for my plants, remove water from the tank & refill with new water. If your tank is heated then room temp will most likely be cooler than the tank water & you want to match as closely as possible. Most water conditioners will say if you can OD or not but typically you can't.

What ever amount that you are going to use for the water change, take a large bucket, run out of tap, let set in a open container and just use that water for your change. Then you do not need to dechlorinate. The chlorine dissipates and your good to go.

You would want to add 20 drops, not just one, and make sure to add the dechlorinator (I use Prime) to the tank after you have removed the water or directly to the replacement water.

I also temp match by feel because I have heated water. Room temp for me would be around 70...much too cold for my tropicals.

Back
Top Bottom