Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question regarding Gourami for my new tank

Hello,

I am planning on buying my fish tomorrow for my 20G tank I just finished cycling.

I went to the store today to look at their selection (knowing what I wanted) and see if they have the one I wanted. They have the Pearl Gourami which I wanted but did not have the thick-lipped Gourami. They had the Gold Gourami instead (max size: 4" => is that correct because I heard it should be 6"?).

Anyway, I was thinking getting both types.
The 2 Pearl Gourami they have which seemed to be a male and a female (but I have to look closer)
2-3 Gold Gourami (not sure about if they are male, female or both).

I heard that Gourami should be kept with 1 male for 1 or 2 female. Will this apply if I get 2 different types of Gourami (meaning - will it be an issue if I have a male Pearl and a male Gold with female of both type)? (I guess it will since they are still Gourami).

So, should I get them or is it a bad choice. It has been hard for me to find the fish I want for the size of my tank so any help will be appreciated (I really want my Gourami

The only other fish I will be getting with the Gourami will be: few zebra Danios and a brustlenose Pleco.

I can't wait for your replies to see if I should get my fish tomorrow or not.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you looked at Dwarf Gouramis. They would be better for the size of your tank IMO.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would go with one or the other as a pair would fit nicely in a 20. Just make sure you have plenty of hiding places like live plans caves ect. I think 4 would be to many for that size tank IMO.

You could look into dwarf gourami then you could have more and they are less likely to get aggressive
agwats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a powder blue gourami in my 20 gallon and he was in a 10 gallon with guppies and he was friendly. 2 dwarf gouramis should be fine in a 20

Tags
gourami, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com