Questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmetzel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I suppose I am a 'newbie,' but one of my aquariums, a 20 gal. FW containing mollies and swordtails and sneaky uninvited snails has caused some curiosity on my part. Everything seems to be fine a dandy, everyone seems happy and healthy and there have been no fatalities in quite some time. Temp is kept at 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
It has been 3 weeks since my last vacuum/25% water changing and I am due to do it again next week. However, merely by accident did I see little squiggly whitish worm-like creatures crawling on the insides of the glass about a week ago. They are very tiny and almost impossible to see. They aren't collected up near the surface of the water, they are found at all depths crawling on the glass...Sicne I first spotted them about a week ago, I have been keeping a watchful eye and haven't noticed a change in my fish nor a change in the worms. I'm wondering if any of you may know...
A.) what are these?
B.) how did they get there?
C.) are the potentially dangerous for my fishes?
D.) are they potentially dangerous for me?
E.) how do I get rid of them?
Since I am due to clean the tank again soon, I want to know what these are because I don't want to be stickin' my arms in an aquarium with weird critters in them without knowing if they are bad for me or not. Please help if you can. I'm pretty grossed out. 8O

It sounds like planaria, a type of freshwater worm. If you have live plants, they can easily hitch-hike along like snails. I guess it's also possible to introduce them with fish if the tank you bought them from was infested.

They're completely harmless to you and your fish, but they are an early warning sign that there is too much organic debris in the tank. How often do you check your water parameters (Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? One possible cause is overfeeding. Also, you might want to increase your 25% water changes/gravel vacs to once a week or once every two weeks. If you do this, the planaria will eventually run out of food and disappear.

Possibly planaria but more than likely nematodes. They are harmless to you and your fish. QTOFFER is absolutely correct about increasing your water changes/gravel vacs, and lightening up on the feeding a bit. They will disappear with a good cleaning regimen. :wink:

Sorry for the delay in my response, I've been busy with the start of the new semester and my crappy job and what not...I check the parameters of the tank every other week, they were all in safe conditions when I noticed the worms. I did a water change last week and a thourough cleaning of the tank and it seems the little nasty worms have gone away. I will do the cleanings more often now in hopes that the worms will stay away. Thank you both for the help! 8)

I check the parameters of the tank every other week, they were all in safe conditions when I noticed the worms.
0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, <60 ppm nitrate?

How often are you feeding?

I feed them once a day. I know sometimes my mother feeds them thinking I haven't, so they get fed double every once in awhile.

I'm looking back at my records of the test before the last water change(when the worms were still present,) and the nitrate was about 40 ppm which was labeled as 'safe'...nitrite was somewhere between 0-.5. the .5 ppm was noted as 'caution' and a beige color on the scale and my result on the strip was a very pale beige...

The testing kit I use is a 5-in-one test strip that tests nitrate, nitrite, alkalinity, pH and hardness. It is called "Quick Dip" and made by Jungle Labratories and I haven't heard whether these are accurate or not. Any advice on my testing habits? I feel like such a newbie when it comes to the chemistry aspect of it all...

:oops:

It is better to use the more accurate liquid test kits. Although 40 ppm nitrates is safe for fish, the nematodes are clearly loving it.
nitrite was somewhere between 0-.5. the .5 ppm was noted as 'caution'
In a cycled tank with regular PWC, the ammonia and nitrite should be undectable. Increase your PWC to weekly and you will see improvement in your aquarium :D

Back
Top Bottom