Questions about Cory Cats in a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPryor

Aquarium Advice Activist
First off: Bad idea? I'm seeing mixed things online and in these forums. Many say 2 cory cats in a 10 gal. are happy and active together, and have lived full lifespans free of stress. Others give dire warnings. Does anyone have first-hand experience putting just two or three in a tank together? I'm trying to get practical advice: I work in a fish store, and we seem to have only 3 or so of each kind come in at a time....they seem pretty active and playful. Sometimes they do "drop out", but it seems to happen about 2 days after arriving in-store...seems like more of an issue of being sensitive to travel/changing water parameters to me. Am I wrong :confused:

I have rounded aquarium gravel. Seeing differing opinions on this as well - Is it sentencing them to death from nasty barbel filing, or safe? At the pet store, we have around 100 tanks - we try to keep the corys in the sand tanks, but usually the pandas (when we get them) and the green corys go in gravel. I've never noticed any wounds on the gravel-dwellers....but then, I haven't been looking for very long and we don't usually keep them long.

I was told that water quality is the most important thing when keeping the barbels healthy. As long as it's not super rough gravel, it should be fine. Look into the various pygmy corydoras for a 10 gallon.

They like either gravel or sand but preferably sand because obviously the barbel issue your other fish will like it as well

Okay, thanks for the advice! I'll look into the pygmies, but we don't seem to get them locally (I'm pretty sure the two big chains in my town use the same farm breeders -___- ) I'll start nosing around for some smaller stores to see if I have better luck :)

Corydoras

Okay, thanks for the advice! I'll look into the pygmies, but we don't seem to get them locally (I'm pretty sure the two big chains in my town use the same farm breeders -___- ) I'll start nosing around for some smaller stores to see if I have better luck :)

Hello C...

Corys are foraging fish. They thrive in long narrow tanks. They'll survive in small tanks, but if you've ever seen them in shoals of 6 or more you'll see how comfortable they are when they can swim in a relatively straight line for a good distance before they have to turn around. Sand is okay as a substrate, but it lends itself to water chemistry problems. Pea sized, polished gravel is better. There's no chance of it getting compacted or voids developing. It's much easier to keep clean and pure water conditions are a must for healthy fish.

I keep all kinds of Corys in long, narrow 55 G tanks, heavily planted bottoms and subdued lighting. These fish are extremely shy and prefer shaded, somewhat darker tanks, since they're at their most active when the tank lights go out.

Keeping foraging fish in small tanks is very much like keeping a dog or cat in the family bathroom. There's no wiggle room.

Just an opinion from a Cory keeper.

B

Cory's do better in a school of 6 or more, with more females than males. I have had the same corys for over 6 years now. I have 10 green corys and 6 peppered corys. I have plenty of hiding places and live plants for them. Mine are in a 55 gallon whereas 1/2 of my tank is rounded gravel for the plants and the other 1/2 is sand. I feed on the sand side to help protect their barbels.

Like the above post said, they prefer darker atmosphere, mine have to submit to a few hours of bright light for the plants, at which time they hide in their caves.

My corys are very happy as they spawn constantly. Just last week, I had over 200 peppered cory eggs hatch...what I am going to do with the little guys is beyond me...but they are fun to watch.

Yeahhh....If I can find some pygmies, I might go for it....but I'll put off the dream for now :)

Theres really not much you can keep in a 10 gal that is ideal...but really "ideal" would be to build a mile-long tropical stream in your house, if we really get down to it, right? Like....I've had hamsters, horses, and dogs as pets before, and done my best for all of them.....but theres always something MORE you can do to give them the "ideal" life :/ For instance, my lovely psycho boarder collie would benefit greatly from a small heard of sheep to boss around....but since he's a rescue, twice daily walks and playing fetch on our outdoor run is the best i can do -____-

I'm trying to stay as humane as possible: I already have a questionable stocking choice, since we have two longfin leopard danios in the 10 gal. I'm going to get them a third. My boyfriends son (who is the...ah..."real" owner of the tank) wants mollies, but I'm fairly certain I can convince him that some male guppies will be a better choice. Any other stocking advice for a 10 gal? I'm guessing ottos would be no better, since they too need about the same numbers as cory cats to be happy?

My understanding Ottos are hard to keep because of their diet. I have a betta in a 30 gallon and love him to death.

When I put my hand in the tank he comes up and will sit in my hand, he also will feed from my hand. He is a very lazy guy.

Another thought might be a fresh water Puffer if you can find them. Also in my 30 gallon I house a Malabar Puffer, she is full grown at 1/2 inch. She does not bother any tank mates and is not aggressive at all.

My understanding Ottos are hard to keep because of their diet. I have a betta in a 30 gallon and love him to death.

When I put my hand in the tank he comes up and will sit in my hand, he also will feed from my hand. He is a very lazy guy.

Another thought might be a fresh water Puffer if you can find them. Also in my 30 gallon I house a Malabar Puffer, she is full grown at 1/2 inch. She does not bother any tank mates and is not aggressive at all.

I'll look into the puffers....I know nothing about them, we don't carry them at our store.

Here comes the hate. I breed and keep 8 of them in a 10 gallon custom made long tank.

Yeah, I think people CAN keep them in a 10 gal., poking around online...but I just don't feel comfortable doing it myself. Mine is a standard tank, not long. Also, with the Little Ones stocking plans, I don't think I could put in the herd I want :/

:D I agreed to this tank because i know I'm the one who will be maintaining it; I actually like doing water changes and scrubbing my bettas tank.....I find it an oddly soothing chore 0_o

I find tank maintenance very relaxing! You're definitely not the only one.

If you could get your hands on some Pygmy cories I'd say go for it, but it's probably not the best idea otherwise. Any chance you could sneak in a bigger tank? =P

I find tank maintenance very relaxing! You're definitely not the only one.

If you could get your hands on some Pygmy cories I'd say go for it, but it's probably not the best idea otherwise. Any chance you could sneak in a bigger tank? =P

Ah! I'd love to, but we're in weird place right now; renting, but my boyfriend just got a full-time well-paying job and I'm finishing up CNA classes where I can HOPEFULLy get a "real job"....with real, reliable hours....and make a real life monthy budget :) I'm sure we could sneak in a bigger tank, but it's more a matter of setting it up just to probably break it down soon.

In short, I hope to move somewhere more permanent soon and set up a nice aquarium. My boyfriends mother has a 55gal. she'd give us in a heartbeat with only 2 danios living inside. I want a housewarming party where everyone just chips in to get us a giftcard to someplace I can buy fish and a nice canister filter system :D :D :D

I totally feel you when it comes to finances. I'm off work on medical leave and things can get scary quickly if we're not really careful. Hopefully everything comes together for you guys soon!

Back
Top Bottom