Questions about cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azmodan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it possible to put an extra (unused) filter in an already established tank in order to get a jump start on cycling for a new tank? I ask this because I still haven't found the right tank yet but I wanted to see if I could just get a filter for the size I want, stick it in a tank I already have (along with the one it has already), and let it begin to start building bacteria. I understand that I need to be careful with the extra water flow in the tank and such, but any other concerns? In addition to the filter I'd also be adding gravel, decor, and plants from the old tank into the new one.

How do you recommend changing filters when they need switching out? I know that they last much longer than what is recommended by the filter packaging, but do I keep the old filter with the new one so the bacteria can grow more quickly?

Thanks!:)

Yes you can use a used filter from an established tank to help start a new one. I use the water from a 10 percent water change from the established tank and run it through the filter in the new tank. The thing about using a used filter is that is not where the bacteria is usually found needed for the cycle. Good luck with the new tank :)

I stand corrected and have to apologize for the misinformation !! I was doing some reading on your question and found that the good bacteria IS IN the filter. I use a biowheel and assumed the bacteria was in it or the bio balls and not the filter. You can use your filter for the new tank as long as you did not rinse it with tap water or let it dry out. Hope that helps....

The beneficial bacteria we need for our tanks are surface adherers.. meaning they reside on all surfaces in our tank, but mostly in the filter media. The place with the second greatest amount of BB is substrate. Next is decor and last would be in the water itself.

If you put an extra filter on an established tank, BB (beneficial bacteria) will begin to build up in there, and when you move it to your new tank, you will have most, if not all, of the BB you need for your stock (depending on the size of your tank and filter and other factors). Just make sure it doesn't dry out like the previous poster said, and it doesn't go without an ammonia source.

+1 what the others said. That is a great way to get a head start on cycling. You will just need an ammonia source to keep feeding the BB when you put the filter on the new tank or else the colonies will starve

Back
Top Bottom