Questions about new cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ahisma

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, this is my first post and I'm using the iphone app. It's not showing the whole title for this forum, so hope I'm in the right place!

I probably shouldn't have, but did get a false blochi Cory and an emerald green Cory yesterday. Some say this is over stocked, but others insist it is not... I have random cories because the guy at the lfs insisted they would be fine together. I went with his opinion, but from what I have read, I'd rather have all one type. However, the first group of albinos, julii, peppered and panda got along great. They intermingle, but also break into two groups. The mismatched ones seem to have really taken to each other and rest together etc.

Now I have added the two new cories and all seems to be ok, but am curious about some of their behaviors.

The blochi actually chases tetras and seems to nudge the albinos, not chasing, but pushing. She (I think it's a she) also has a tendency to rest next to other cories (peppered and emerald) but then gets real close, almost rubbing them or appearing to cuddle! Is this a sign or dominance? She doesn't nip or seem aggressive, just the tetra chasing... (the blochi was alone at the store, perhaps for a reason!)
Then the emerald is a bit of a loner and I know it's only been 24 hours, but I just wonder if I should bring him back to be with the other emeralds...

Has anyone seen a Cory that cuddles and chases tetras?

Anyone had a positive experience keeping random cories?

I'm curious as to what experienced aquarists will say... I've only kept fish for 10 months now, but I have spent well over 100 hours in this time researching...

Thanks!!

Anyone have an opinion about whether or not my tank is overstocked? I'm getting so much mixed info...
My ammonia went up to somewhere under .5 ppm for a couple days after adding the 2 cories, but this happened when I added the 3 albinos as well.
My nitrates are consistently extremely low, and of course no nitrite.

From what I have read, all of my fish have lower bioloads, generally. There is plenty of floor space and I feed the cories 1/2 sinking wafer 3 days a week, the betta gets pellets daily and the tetras get flakes on the days that I don't put in sinking wafers. This way the cories get the leftovers from the tetras. Then I give all fish one day off and the next day they get bits of peas and a few thawed bloodworms.

Should I return the emerald catfish due to his larger size and need for company? Could I get another emerald?
Thanks!!

I don't see your tank size listed.....what size tank and what fish are in there and how many of each? Also what's your filtration?

I can't answer all of your questions as I haven't had random cories, just 5-6 of the same type in the same tank. I can say though that they all do "cuddle" and often I'll look over and see a panda pile up or julii pile up where they are all bunched up together, sometimes on top of one another in the group. I think that's normal cory behavior, but I don't know if it is related to dominance.

20 gallon long
Aqueon 10 hob, 100 gph
I stopped changing the cartridge and use it as bio filter
Small wonder sponge filter on the other side of the tank for aeration, extra bio filtration and water circulation

I have 10 types of plants, multiples of many of them...
1 two inch male plakat betta
3 albino cories
1 peppered
1 panda
1 false julii
8 yellow phantom tetras 1" max
Then I went and added
1 emerald green catfish
1 false blochi
Oh and 3 ramshorn snails for over a month... No babies yet.

Is this overstocked, first of all?
I'm torn, because it seems that all of these fish have lower bio loads and if you add up their current sizes, it comes to 19 inches of fish. If they grow to full potential, they will be about 28 inches of fish.
If you go by the surface area rule, I can have 30 inches of fish.

My ph level is about 7.8, although I am using test strips and they are seeming to not be accurate right now...

My ammonia has been at 0 except when I added 3 albino cories, it went up a bit for a few days, and this time it has gone up to what now looks like .5 ppm on the strip.
Nitrite 0
Nitrate barely noticeable on test strip, consistently for over two months. This tank has been going since mid July.

Now I have another layer to add, I just did a water change in the 5 gallon betta tank (and in the 20 g) last night. I checked the ammonia in the betta (5 gal only one female betta, cycled since February) and it reads .5 ppm!

So I checked mt tap water and same thing!

I should probably get an API test kit ASAP?

So three questions now are:

Is my tank over stocked?

Could I actually get one more emerald Cory if it is not overstocked?

And why do I all of a sudden have ammonia reading in my city tap water that I never had before?

I appreciate the feedback!
I'd like to take the emerald back today if that is what I should do...

You are definitely maxed out. You are very crowded in your bottom level. Some of your cory's get large like the albino's, emerald, and I think the false blochi. Whether you return them or not is your decision but don't get anymore.

As for your city water, the city could be adding something different or have adjusted/changed something. It's hard to say why.

Yeah, my gut says the emerald would be happier in his group. I only got him so the blochi wouldn't be the only new fish. I love the color of the emeralds but I'll wait until I can get a much larger tank.

The blochi is supposed to be 3" max, but I thought the albino was only 2-2.5. It's an albino bronze. Well, it's hard to imagine them all fully grown. Right now it seems like there is plenty of space...

Maybe I need a 30 gallon sooner than later!

Thank you for your response!

Corydoras

Hello A...

I've kept Corys for several years and can tell you that they don't all have to be the same species in a tank. I have a 55 gallon tank with four different species and they're fine together. Corys of the same species will forage together, but all are peaceful.

The water needs to be pure, so I do large weekly water changes. Corys are bottom feeders and do best in larger, well planted tanks, so they have areas to hide and forage for leftover food. They really like low light tanks or areas in the tank where there's shade.

Unless Corys are raised in small numbers from the beginning, they'll do better in a group of five or more. I have the best results with Corys if I stock one for every 5 gallons of tank size and keep at least 5 in a tank.

I don't keep Corys in less than a 45 gallon tank. There just isn't enough room for them to forage, but that's my preference.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Thanks for the input!

I'd love to have a larger tank, but right now it's not happening.

My original 6 cories seem to have plenty of room though... I am sure bigger is always better, but I do have a planted tank with driftwood. I made a cave under the main branch by digging the sand out and there is a cave behind it. Also, the driftwood leaches tannins, so the water is quite dark. I have pond penny and hornwart as floating plants for cover and shade. I don't remember the name of the fern I have, but there is a ton of it across the back. I'll post a picture on my profile...

I think the 20 will do and as they grow I could possibly upgrade to a 30. Not much space for more than that though.

Three of the cories are less than an inch long right now... They grow slowly, right?

The emerald is going back to the store and I'm not sure about the blochi.

The big problem as of this week is the addition of ammonia to my tap water. (.5 ppm) I've read that using prime can help...

Back
Top Bottom