Questions about setting up a 20 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smilemadeofsun

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all, my name is Robert. I did a member introduction but other than that I am brand new to the site, and pretty much brand new to fish ownership. Right now I have a 10 gallon with 3 Serpae Tetras going through my first cycle (so far, so good other than one sudden drop in my ph which I have taken care of). After buying and setting up a 10g I quickly realized that for Serpaes I should have a 20 gallon tank to give them a school of more than 6. I was wondering if it would be better to get my 20 gallon set up and start a fishless cycle going while I am finishing my cycle in the 10 gallon tank, so that I can move them over sooner than later and get a school going? Or should I wait until I have my 10 gallon all cycled, and then add the media from that to my 20g to cycle it that way?

Also wondering what some recommendations for stocking the 20 gallon tank would be. I want to get probably a school of 9 serpaes (or is 7 better for a 20g?) and then maybe eventually some kind of clean up crew. I definitely don't want to overstock, I know I am a newbie but I am trying to avoid as many newbie mistakes as I can. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I would start cycling the 20 asap. Also watch the Serpae Tetras then can be aggressive finnippers. Did you ask your local fish store if they could give you a little gravel or filter media from one of their tanks? That would kick start the cycle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good idea. When I buy the tank I will ask that they give me a piece of filter from one of the healthy tanks or something. I am not planning on putting my serpaes in the 20 gallon with anything else unless I have a need for a clean up crew eventually because I don't want them nipping fins. I am going to make the 10 gallon my quarantine tank for my 20 gallon Serpae Tank and the larger community tank we're eventually going to get.

If I'm not putting anything else in the tank except Serpaes do you think I could comfortably fit a school of 9, and do you think that would make them happy? I've read that they like a number larger than 6 and they tend to favor odd numbers?

I'm really not sure. I don't have much Serpae experience so hopefully someone else will chime in. Best wishes!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good for you for doing some research, Robert! It's amazing how much you can learn from this site (and many others).

Here's my opinion on your situation: get the 20 gal, transfer the substrate and decorations (unless you want to change them!) and transfer your filter media. You are in the middle of a cycle, so keep it going, just in the 20 gal. I assume you're testing your water and changing it as needed. Once you feel like you're fully cycled, you can add more fish.

As far as getting more than 6, that's a great idea. You've got to figure, the shoals these fish are in while in the wild could contain hundreds of fish!Not sure about odd numbers, I've never heard that.

As for a cleanup crew, have you considered Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS)? They will eat any uneaten food and help break down waste. They don't eliminate the need for water changes though! Be careful, as population explosions can happen when you over feed. Nerite snails are neat, don't reproduce in fresh water, and they eat some types of algae.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the advice guys! I will start to do that right away. My tetras seem pretty happy judging by their color, behavior and fins but I am ready to get them in with some buddies!

Back
Top Bottom