Questions, questions, questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PossibleOwner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've read a lot of guides, but I'd like to get answers to my specific question, if possible.

Startup:
I'm farly clear on cycling, so let's skip that part.

1. I have a 15 gallon long. I want to get a school of tetras and some other fish, but the guide says that to have a single school I need a 20 long; I want to have a school of tetras and more. Is it possible?
2. Planted vs. Unplanted. Is there a difference, or is it just aesthetics?
3. If I get the aquarium running, will I have to put my hand in at all to pick things up and whatnot?

Getting Fish:

1. As I mentioned, I want tetras. What goes well with them?
2. Will I need an entirely different tank for quarantine? Or will a simple 5 gallon work for a single fish?

I'm pretty clear on maintenance. Any other tips to help a newbie?

PossibleOwner said:
I've read a lot of guides, but I'd like to get answers to my specific question, if possible.

Startup:

1. I have a 15 gallon long. I want to get a school of tetras and some other fish, but the guide says that to have a single school I need a 20 long; I want to have a school of tetras and more. Is it possible?
3. If I get the aquarium running, will I have to put my hand in at all to pick things up and whatnot?

Getting Fish:

2. Will I need an entirely different tank for quarantine? Or will a simple 5 gallon work for a single fish?

I'm not going to advise on stocking but as far as having to stick your hand in, I'd say most likely you're going to have to at some point for something. I know I do it quite frequently. My tanks have a mixture of silk & real plants, mostly its personal preference. Do you want to take care of real plants by pruning & adding ferts? As for the QT tank, I have a 10g I keep for that purpose. Get a syphon vac or a water changer such as the Python (which I prefer).

So, real plants don't significantly improve their quality of life? In that case I'll probably go with silk.

Startup:

What tetras are you looking to get?
The best I can see is Neon / Cardinal Tetras. Other tetras get too large and are too active for a 15gal.

Planted all the way ... no question! It not only makes a visual difference, but they do wonders for maintaining stable water parameters. Plants consume Ammonia and Nitrates.

Yes ... goes with the territory. No worries, just rinse your hands with tap, dry and your good to go ... this is assuming your hands were fairly clean to begin with. No grease, oils excessive dirt etc.

Getting Fish:

Neons / Cardinals in a 15gal's probably your best bet.

A 5gal QT will do fine ... you can even get a simple rubbermaid bin. In the beginning your tank also serves as your QT. I'd say after a month of having an established cycled tank, you want to start QT'ing new stock.

ASK ASK ASK ... And when your not sure ... ASK again!

See above for my responses.

I agree with being in the tank. We are constantly in our tanks, rearranging stuff. I also tend to pick my daughter's betta up by hand to move him (he has made 3 tank changes since we moved in June, he keeps getting upgraded). Just comes with the territory of having a fish tank.

Thanks guys. I'll try my hand at planted and I think you've covered just about everything else. My main question has to do with variety; I will probably get some neons but want different kinds of fish. Assuming I get a school of six tetras, can anything else go in the tank? I was thinking maybe some angelfish?

A honey gourami would be a nice addition to that size tank. Angelfish need at least 30 gallons for one.

Thanks guys. I'll try my hand at planted and I think you've covered just about everything else. My main question has to do with variety; I will probably get some neons but want different kinds of fish. Assuming I get a school of six tetras, can anything else go in the tank? I was thinking maybe some angelfish?

With sub 20gal tanks, you may want to look at nano fish like COD's, scarlet basis or chilli rasboras. All are peaceful and any would go well with neon or cardinal tetras.

If you plan on upgrading, you can give a hand at angelfish, but you would need to be upgrading fairly quickly. We got two angels at the size of a quarter in July/August and our remaining guy is now fairly large, so they grow pretty quickly.

A gourami could be a nice addition, or if you wanted to try your hand at it, one or two African Dwarf Frogs. They're small (about 2") and peaceful. Or a school of small cories. Just plan on adjusting your filtration as needed.

PossibleOwner said:
Thanks guys. I'll try my hand at planted and I think you've covered just about everything else. My main question has to do with variety; I will probably get some neons but want different kinds of fish. Assuming I get a school of six tetras, can anything else go in the tank?

Instead of neons, why don't you do ember tetras, CPDs, or chili rasboras? You could do ten of them then do maybe some scarlet badis

So I was looking at maybe 5-6 tetras (can different kinds of tetras mix?)
4-5 rasbora danios
A few African Dwarf Frogs
One or two dwarf gouramis.

Would a single female betta work with these?

I may upgrade later as time goes on but for now, will this work well and look good in a planted 15 long?

PossibleOwner said:
So I was looking at maybe 5-6 tetras (can different kinds of tetras mix?)
4-5 rasbora danios
A few African Dwarf Frogs
One or two dwarf gouramis.

Would a single female betta work with these?

I may upgrade later as time goes on but for now, will this work well and look good in a planted 15 long?

Only one labryinth fish(betta, gourami)
Three or four dwarf frogs
Choose between one school of six celestial pearl danios or chili rasboras or one school of six ember tetras
Most tetras need twenty gals at the minimum

Thanks, will make sure to get one gourami.. Are you sure about tetras needing 20?

PossibleOwner said:
Thanks, will make sure to get one gourami.. Are you sure about tetras needing 20?

Yes. You can get any of the nano fish I mentioned though. So you are getting one gourami and one school of nano fish? I would get a sparkling or honey gourami instead of a dwarf, but overall I think scarlet badis would look best, and you could have two

So, unfortunately local stores don't have ember tetras. They have a variety of others.

I'm looking at a school of tetras, maybe some of the small ones that grow to only 1.5 inches. This will compose my middle swimmers.
With a few frogs and 2 dwaft gouramis (why not two? they only grow to 2 inches), I can have bottom swimmers.
At the top can be a school of rasbora danios.

Is this overdoing it?
Emerald, I looked into your suggestions but found nothing at my local pet store.

PossibleOwner said:
So, unfortunately local stores don't have ember tetras. They have a variety of others.

I'm looking at a school of tetras, maybe some of the small ones that grow to only 1.5 inches. This will compose my middle swimmers.
With a few frogs and 2 dwaft gouramis (why not two? they only grow to 2 inches), I can have bottom swimmers.
At the top can be a school of rasbora danios.

Is this overdoing it?
Emerald, I looked into your suggestions but found nothing at my local pet store.

The gourami will fight. Try Msjinkzd.com(dont know if I already mentioned it) for ember tetras and lots of other super cool nanos for a fraction of normal pricing

Ok, well, I don't think I can order from the site. I will just get some smaller tetras locally.
Also, it appears that gouramis are middle swimmers. I need bottom swimmers. Was looking at cories but noticed they needed smooth substrate and I was looking at black gravel. Ideas?

Cory's do best with 3-4 at LEAST they just act sad and lonely when there are 2, the only dwarf gourami I had was a murder. If you go with Cory's I wouldn't do the frogs because its really not enough space on the floor. I have a 10 gallon and I swear to you over stocking will be your worst enemy... 5 Cory's and up to maybe 8 tetras or guppies is all I personally would do in a 15 based on my experiences with my 10... I know it doesn't seem like a lot but your fish will be more enjoyable to watch with space of there own.

A 15 just isn't really enough for 2 separate sets of schooling fish(tetras, and danios).... There's not a whole heck of a lot of 'top' 'middle' and bottom space for that many fish. Plus Gouramis really like there space. If you get one I would only get one. And 1school of tetras and one school of bottom dwellers. Sorry to be repetitive but I have 4 Cory's 3 guppies and 2 snails in my 10 an IMHO it's crowded.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll just go with frogs as bottom-dwellers. Maybe just tetras and danios.

Back
Top Bottom