Questions with gravel changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shark_Bait

Aquarium Advice Freak
:fish2:Hey everyone,:fish2:

Well i want to change my gravel and layer different colors (Fiance thinks it will look nice) my question is is there a safe way to do this? My fish are in a 55 gal tank and i have a 10 gal hospital tank empty. Should i move the fish out when changing gravel? Should i leave some of the current gravel in there to keep some of the bacteria? Any help would be great!!!

:thanks:

Shark_Bait said:
:fish2:Hey everyone,:fish2:

Well i want to change my gravel and layer different colors (Fiance thinks it will look nice) my question is is there a safe way to do this? My fish are in a 55 gal tank and i have a 10 gal hospital tank empty. Should i move the fish out when changing gravel? Should i leave some of the current gravel in there to keep some of the bacteria? Any help would be great!!!

:thanks:

You are right. Move all the fish to a different container/tank. Change all the substrate at the same time, put the clean new substrate. You can put some old substrate in a stocking and just hang it on the side or wherever you want to put it for a few weeks until the BB catches up. I'd wait for the water to clear up before putting the fish back in the tank.

You are right. Move all the fish to a different container/tank. Change all the substrate at the same time, put the clean new substrate. You can put some old substrate in a stocking and just hang it on the side or wherever you want to put it for a few weeks until the BB catches up. I'd wait for the water to clear up before putting the fish back in the tank.

Do you think the ammonia level spike with the move of the gravel?

It might cause a mini-cycle but it won't last that long. Plus you'll keep some of the old substrate. That will help with the transition. PWC will fix that. Just check your parameters everyday to be safe for at least a week.

The only issue i might have is i don't believe i can leave my fish in the 10 gal tank to long. I only have 7 fish but 4 of them are male dwarf gouramis. They are ok in the 55 gal because its big enough for their own territory but in the 10 gal i don't want them attacking each other. What you think?

You can put them in a separate tank, any container or a bucket. That'll work just fine. You can also get those nets to separate fry from the rest. Buy those and just return them after to get your money back. :) You'll only use it once.

I would put an aerator though to keep the water oxygenized. Also a heater. I would cover the container and maybe a blanket to reduce temp swings. Replace the substrate as fast as you can. :)

You're welcome :)

Edit: that is if you decide to put them in a bucket or something but if all the fish will go in the 10g with the net, you don't need a blanket. Although it will help and reduce stress. Don't forget the filter and a lid. Just to be safe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom