Quick Cure Turned My Tank Blue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueAnchors

Aquarium Advice Regular
My fish had a very small outbreak of ick so before it got out of hand I rushed down to the store and bought Quick Cure Fast Relief For Ick & Protozoan Parasites. It said in the instructions that is might turn plastic plants, rocks, and the glue that seals the tank blue. Of course I thought that would never happen and guess what it did. So now I am wondering if I can get the stain out. Thanks!

Still no help? It didn't turn my rocks or plastic plants just the seal on the sides and the suction cups for my heater but I can replace that.

Hi blue. Unfortunately I can't help with the staining, perhaps it will fade over time. The main reason more people probably aren't posting more answers is because many of the ich meds destroy your biofilter, so many members try to treat with raised temp and salt (if your fish are tolerant). I'm sure many members have used it before, but the vast majority try to avoid meds at all costs. Hopefully someone can help more.

I hate to say it but I've seen tanks that were permanently stained due the Methylene blue. It may dissipate over time but that warning is there for a reason.

ohhh gotcha. I tried the temperature thing but through research I didn't want to do that to my angelfish plus I think something is wrong with my heater. After I get done using this medicine I am going to start putting salt in my tank.

BlueAnchors said:
ohhh gotcha. I tried the temperature thing but through research I didn't want to do that to my angelfish plus I think something is wrong with my heater. After I get done using this medicine I am going to start putting salt in my tank.

Make sure that all of your fish are salt tolerant. Some scaleless fish like Cory cats can't deal with it. Also, remember that ich meds will decimate your nitrifying bacteria, so you've got to keep a very sharp eye on ammonia levels and do large pwc's if ammo begins to rise.

Eco: I just did a water change actually! Would say do one like once a week while on the meds? After the treatment I am going to see if my friend can give me some of her rocks and some of her green algae. I just have danios and 2 angelfish.

BlueAnchors said:
Eco: I just did a water change actually! Would say do one like once a week while on the meds? After the treatment I am going to see if my friend can give me some of her rocks and some of her green algae. I just have danios and 2 angelfish.

The pwc's are gonna be dictated by the ammo level. I'd say to do a 50% pwc if the ammo creeps up near .25. There's no such thing as too many water changes as long as you remember to dechlorinate and match temps.

If at any time the tank is emptied for any reason such as a redo, bleach will remove the blue from the silicone. Just fill it up with some bleach and let it sit until the silicone is clear again. Drain, rinse well and restart.

BillD said:
If at any time the tank is emptied for any reason such as a redo, bleach will remove the blue from the silicone. Just fill it up with some bleach and let it sit until the silicone is clear again. Drain, rinse well and restart.

Agreed, ich never completely goes away. It hides dormant in the substrate and waits for your fish to have a weakened immune system to come out again. I fully agree to sterilize it and start over with a fishless cycle if it is ever unstocked.

Are you kidding me? All I have is one angel and 3 leopard danios ( getting more soon) I guess I could temporarily put them in another tank to get rid of it and the blue stain...

BlueAnchors said:
Are you kidding me? All I have is one angel and 3 leopard danios ( getting more soon) I guess I could temporarily put them in another tank to get rid of it and the blue stain...

That would be ideal...but you might want to quickly fishless cycle the new tank before you move them over so you don't have to deal with trying to keep them alive. Of coarse, I'd also recommend fishless cycling the main tank before you add them back in to it. Check out the link in my signature. Ask me any questions you come up with.

eco23 said:
The main reason more people probably aren't posting more answers is because many of the ich meds destroy your biofilter, so many members try to treat with raised temp and salt (if your fish are tolerant).

:shocked!:

Wow, that's reason enough to never go anywhere near ich medication at all.

eco23 said:
Hi blue. Unfortunately I can't help with the staining, perhaps it will fade over time. The main reason more people probably aren't posting more answers is because many of the ich meds destroy your biofilter, so many members try to treat with raised temp and salt (if your fish are tolerant). I'm sure many members have used it before, but the vast majority try to avoid meds at all costs. Hopefully someone can help more.

I can tell you that Quick Cure won't harm the bacteria in a system/filter and unlike heat/salt which seems to be about 50/50 on curnig ick before it (or salt/heat) kills fish, I have a 100% recovery rate using QC for 10 days (spots gone in 2-3 days). The 2x my tank got ick was from a new fish and a new plant that I didn't QT and now everything gets QT for 10 days. So IME, QC actually kills ick and it sounds like salt/heat doesn't if people keep getting it back.

As for turning stuff blue, my air line got stained blue (cost to replace .99 lol) and pure slicone has a natural light bluish tint to it so the OP may be seeing something that isn't there.

When your fish gets any one of a number of possible illnesses, you never, ever use meds? Humm... Maybe it's blue water that scares you ;).

i know a good med that is good but idk if it works for ick but it worked for ammonia burns and says it works against bacteria anyway it's melafix and it doesnt do anything to biofilter i know bc i used it while cycling, and it's made naturally from tea or tea trees i think

Mr. Limpet said:
I can tell you that Quick Cure won't harm the bacteria in a system/filter and unlike heat/salt which seems to be about 50/50 on curnig ick before it (or salt/heat) kills fish, I have a 100% recovery rate using QC for 10 days (spots gone in 2-3 days). The 2x my tank got ick was from a new fish and a new plant that I didn't QT and now everything gets QT for 10 days. So IME, QC actually kills ick and it sounds like salt/heat doesn't if people keep getting it back.

As for turning stuff blue, my air line got stained blue (cost to replace .99 lol) and pure slicone has a natural light bluish tint to it so the OP may be seeing something that isn't there.

When your fish gets any one of a number of possible illnesses, you never, ever use meds? Humm... Maybe it's blue water that scares you ;).

I've never had a tank wide illness. That's what I have a QT for...I quarantine and treat any Ill fish.

Here's the main article about ich meds on AA...it discusses the meds damaging the nitrifying bacteria- http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/29/1/Freshwater-Ich-Yuck-/Page1.html

I also didn't say I would never use meds...I said the the vast majority of members try to avoid meds at all costs. Of coarse, there are exceptions for everything.

The ich parasites are only susceptible to the meds during brief period of their life cycle. The meds will kill them during their free swimming stage, but once they go dormant again they become encased and are not damaged by it.

Thanks for all the help! I am having so many problems with my tank its crazy. My danios just vanished, I can't find them anywhere. I think my angel ate them...

Eco: I will deff. be asking you questions about the cycling thing because I am about to bleach everything to get the blue out and since I only have one fish he can have a temp. home for awhile.

BlueAnchors said:
Thanks for all the help! I am having so many problems with my tank its crazy. My danios just vanished, I can't find them anywhere. I think my angel ate them...

Eco: I will deff. be asking you questions about the cycling thing because I am about to bleach everything to get the blue out and since I only have one fish he can have a temp. home for awhile.

Good deal. I'll be happy to help anyway I can. Hopefully you'll have better luck next time around, lol.

Back
Top Bottom