Quick cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vicksta

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I am just curious, could you transfer water from an established tank to a new tank to speed up the cycling process?

Well I did just want to throw that out there, see what people opinions were on it.

I've had established filter media in my tank for 5 days now and my readings haven't changed a bit, so i'd say no, there's no quick way to cycle.

I took a filter that had been on my 10g for 1 month and put it on my new 20g. May 17th and should be finished with my fishless cycle by the weekend (I hope).

Tank Cycling

Good morning Vicksta. Planting a lot of fast growing stem plants in a new tank will also help with the cycling process. I've used Water Sprite, Water Wisteria, Rotala, Ludwigia and Pennywort with good results. I used a substrate base of organic potting soil and covered it with standard pea gravel.

My tank cycled in 30 days. Didn't use any chemicals or any fish.

B

Thanks for the replies.

I like to know what peoples opinions are on things. Helps me makes other decisions later on down the road.

Intresting to know how other people got on with trying to quicken the cycle process.

Good morning Vicksta. Planting a lot of fast growing stem plants in a new tank will also help with the cycling process. I've used Water Sprite, Water Wisteria, Rotala, Ludwigia and Pennywort with good results. I used a substrate base of organic potting soil and covered it with standard pea gravel.

My tank cycled in 30 days. Didn't use any chemicals or any fish.

B

Im jealous! I've tried all of those plants and for some reason they all died on me. Are they high light plants? the only ones I've had luck with are beginner, low light plants, java fern, moss balls, anubia and amazon swords. Makes me mad because I am a great "land" gardener, but I'm not real good with water plants!

Hello Beavis.... The plants I listed are all low light plants. I have low tech tanks (no CO2) and have less than a watt per gallon of tank size and the plants do fine. I do include a couple of different liquid ferts which I dose two to three times per week when I top off my tanks.

Nothing special, no brain surgery. Just the substrate as I explained earlier.

B

One thing that even low light plants really benefit from is lighting. Stock lighting is barely adequate for the nearly unkillable types like java ferns and moss.

Heavily planting a new tank, as in, tons of plants, and a light fish stock, and you probably won't see an ammonia or nitrite spike at all (or nitrates for that matter, unless you are dosing them). Also running a well established sponge filter in a new tank can achieve the same thing, but the key is to lightly stock in the beginning.

Easy Tank Cycling

Good morning jeta... It would be ideal if you had used filter media, substrate, etc. But, using a good organic potting soil as a substrate base works well for tank cycling. The combination of the soil content, fast growing stem plants and time are all that's needed.

At the end of a month, I generally start stocking a few small fish. This method requires no chemicals or subjecting cheap fish to marginal water conditions.

B

"Silent cycling" is always a viable option if done correctly, but takes patience and diligent monitoring of water parameters. I've researched it quite a bit with some of the senior members / mods who are planted tank experts. Certain substrates like Eco complete will leech ammonia for a time, so that is why it is a good idea to leave the tank empty for some time while it sets up. It's also recommended to have 50% of the entire substrate covered in fast growing plants. Also, as stated above the key is to VERY slowly stock the tank while always monitoring the parameters to insure there are no ammonia spikes while the tank establishes. It can be done (not my first choice, I obviously advocate fishless) but is definitely a solid option with enough patience, diligence and commitment.

If you haven't seen it, I invite you to check out the link in my signature. It'll cover fishless cycling which will be a piece of cake with the seeding material you have. Fishless is the safest and most efficient way to cycle a tank...no question about it IMO.

Good morning jeta... It would be ideal if you had used filter media, substrate, etc. But, using a good organic potting soil as a substrate base works well for tank cycling. The combination of the soil content, fast growing stem plants and time are all that's needed.

At the end of a month, I generally start stocking a few small fish. This method requires no chemicals or subjecting cheap fish to marginal water conditions.

B
Unfortunately most beginners aren't up to heavily planting or using a soil substrate at first, but I do agree that it works. I prefer mineralized soil because potting soil can be very hit and miss, and depending on how it's done, one could end up with a tank that smells like a swamp donkey.

Certain substrates like Eco complete will leech ammonia for a time, so that is why it is a good idea to leave the tank empty for some time while it sets up.
AFAIK eco complete doesn't leech ammonia. I've only had limited use with it, but have never run across that particular issue. Some soil products, like aquasoil, are known to leech ammonia while they are in the mineralizing process.

It's also recommended to have 50% of the entire substrate covered in fast growing plants. Also, as stated above the key is to VERY slowly stock the tank while always monitoring the parameters to insure there are no ammonia spikes while the tank establishes. It can be done (not my first choice, I obviously advocate fishless) but is definitely a solid option with enough patience, diligence and commitment.

I agree. Picking the right plants that grow fast and work well with your setup are key, but after that is achieved it pretty much takes care of itself. Routine testing will help ensure that things stay in check but it's definitely doable and easier than it is often made out to be.

My 125 was 'silent cycled' in the past few weeks. I didn't add any filter squeezings to this particular tank because it was unnecessary.

jetajockey said:
Unfortunately most beginners aren't up to heavily planting or using a soil substrate at first, but I do agree that it works. I prefer mineralized soil because potting soil can be very hit and miss, and depending on how it's done, one could end up with a tank that smells like a swamp donkey.

AFAIK eco complete doesn't leech ammonia. I've only had limited use with it, but have never run across that particular issue. Some soil products, like aquasoil, are known to leech ammonia while they are in the mineralizing process.

I agree. Picking the right plants that grow fast and work well with your setup are key, but after that is achieved it pretty much takes care of itself. Routine testing will help ensure that things stay in check but it's definitely doable and easier than it is often made out to be.

My 125 was 'silent cycled' in the past few weeks. I didn't add any filter squeezings to this particular tank because it was unnecessary.

I've never personally used a soil substrate, but I was informed by Fort (Mod), that eco complete does in fact leech ammo. Not really an issue in a silent cycle as long as the tank sits before stocking...but definitely worth noting if someone makes the (IMO poor) decision to do a fish-in cycle.

I've never personally used a soil substrate, but I was informed by Fort (Mod), that eco complete does in fact leech ammo. Not really an issue in a silent cycle as long as the tank sits before stocking...but definitely worth noting if someone makes the (IMO poor) decision to do a fish-in cycle.

I would think that if it did leech ammonia it would have some sort of precaution in the directions, that way people don't come back and say that their product killed off their stock. They don't claim to have any organics in it that would cause an ammonia release either, but who knows really.

From all of the information I've seen about the product, it contains imbedded micronutrients, a 'black water' solution, and 'heterotrophic bacteria'. People seem to think this the same nitrifying bacteria that does the ammonia/nitrite conversion but it isn't, since the nitrifiers responsible for that part of the nitrogen cycle are aerobic autotrophs. But I digress.

jetajockey said:
I would think that if it did leech ammonia it would have some sort of precaution in the directions, that way people don't come back and say that their product killed off their stock. They don't claim to have any organics in it that would cause an ammonia release either, but who knows really.

From all of the information I've seen about the product, it contains imbedded micronutrients, a 'black water' solution, and 'heterotrophic bacteria'. People seem to think this the same nitrifying bacteria that does the ammonia/nitrite conversion but it isn't, since the nitrifiers responsible for that part of the nitrogen cycle are aerobic autotrophs. But I digress.

Regardless of the actual contents, I only repeat back the knowledge I've gained by learning from senior members who have a vastly superior knowledge compared to me when it comes to planted tanks and other areas I don't have expertise in, and Fort384 is absolutely qualified as an expert in that field The other rule I live by is that when it comes to living animals...it is always better safe than sorry and there is no such thing as being overly cautious.

Regardless of the actual contents, I only repeat back the knowledge I've gained by learning from senior members who have a vastly superior knowledge compared to me when it comes to planted tanks and other areas I don't have expertise in, and Fort384 is absolutely qualified as an expert in that field
That's fair, but you do realize that's kinda like parroting. In some instances it's warranted, but making claims based solely on 'well this guy said it' definitely has its flaws. Not saying Fort is wrong here, because I respect his opinion, although I don't know if he considers himself an expert in the field at all, but no matter who says something I still feel the need to verify their information before repeating it as fact.
The other rule I live by is that when it comes to living animals...it is always better safe than sorry and there is no such thing as being overly cautious.
Being cautious is good, but moderation is important. In some cases it's warranted, in some cases not so much. Unfortunately another thing that springs from an excessive level of caution is a witch hunt mentality.

jetajockey said:
That's fair, but you do realize that's kinda like parroting. In some instances it's warranted, but making unverifiable claims based on 'well this guy said it' definitely has its flaws. Not saying Fort is wrong here, because I respect his opinion, although I don't think he considers himself an expert in the field at all, but no matter who says something I still feel the need to verify their information before repeating it as fact.
Being cautious is good, but moderation is important. In some cases it's warranted, in some cases not so much. Unfortunately another thing that springs from an excessive level of caution is a witch hunt mentality.

I don't think the term "parroting" is appropriate here and borderline offensive. I've had in depth conversations with numerous senior members on this site regarding silent cycling. I cited Fort in that particular post because eco complete was specifically mentioned via PM.

We've acknowledged mutual respect for each other, but I do feel as though you read through my posts looking for holes to poke...when none of the items you have refuted would be beneficial to the OP's other than trying to show your knowledge while seemingly attempting to challenge mine.

Since this is obviously an advice website (not necessarily an instructional medium) it is of course up to the question asker to take the information they've gained and make an informed decision.

You are obviously welcome to state a refuting opinion, but in the interest of keeping threads non-confrontational and on topic...I respectfully ask you to PM if you want to discuss technicalities more in depth.

I don't think the term "parroting" is appropriate here and borderline offensive. I've had in depth conversations with numerous senior members on this site regarding silent cycling. I cited Fort in that particular post because eco complete was specifically mentioned via PM.
My apologies if you find it borderline offensive. You said, "I've never personally used a soil substrate, but I was informed by Fort (Mod), that eco complete does in fact leech ammo.", this statement to me reads that you don't have any personal experience with it and you are basing your facts on what someone told you about it. You didn't mention any other sources at all (forum posts/site documentation/etc), so yes, I consider that parroting, but still not intending any offense.

We've acknowledged mutual respect for each other, but I do feel as though you read through my posts looking for holes to poke...when none of the items you have refuted would be beneficial to the OP's other than trying to show your knowledge while seemingly attempting to challenge mine.
You post in nearly every thread in regard to cycling, so it's hard not to see your posts. You have tons of posts that I don't respond to at all, or I even concur with you, so don't be upset when I call out anything I consider inaccurate. Considering how many posts you have in all these threads you should think if anything that I agree with the vast majority of your posts, because I have nothing more to add on it.

And in all fairness, in an open forum like this, you should expect to have others keep your information in check. I expect others to do the same to my posts, also.

Since this is obviously an advice website (not necessarily an instructional medium) it is of course up to the question asker to take the information they've gained and make an informed decision.
Yep, that's my purpose of posting when I see something that I consider inaccurate or misleading. It may very well be completely accurate, I always have room to be corrected, and if someone's claims are factual then they won't have any problem backing them up.

You are obviously welcome to state a refuting opinion, but in the interest of keeping threads non-confrontational and on topic...I respectfully ask you to PM if you want to discuss technicalities more in depth.
I can do that if you want to talk about it more, but I'd like to keep it on topic also and in here to where it can be referenced.

The main reason I post on certain things like this is because someone will read that eco23 said that ecocomplete leeches ammonia, and no one contested the claim, so it must be true, and now they go around and say the same thing, and it goes on and on.

Back
Top Bottom