quick cycle.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ttopmustanggt88

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a established 55 gallon goin now with emp 400 whisper 30-60 and xp2 on it. just set up a 45gallon can i skip the cycle if i add a few fish, a bio wheel off the emp 400 and half of my ceramic rings to my 45gallon. the 45 only has a xp2 on it now so i can just transfer half of my rings but is it ok to leave the bio wheel floating in the new tank till its established?? thanks for any help. josh

You cannot completely skip the cycle, but with only a few fish to start, the ammonia and nitrite spikes should be very minimal in size and length. Don't float the bio-wheel, though....have it running on the filter.

Are you planning to run a HOB on the new tank? If so, I would move your 400 to the new tank and put the new filter on the old tank until the new tank cycles. You should have enough bacteria in your canister to keep the old tank going. You might take some of the gravel from the old tank and put it in a bowl in the new tank along with some water from the old tank. I used this process to upgrade from a 50 gak to a 125 and had no measureable cycle.

Back
Top Bottom