quick cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 5g hex tank that was housing Balthazar the betta, but I acquired a 5g long tank that I moved him to to give him more horizontal swimming room....the 5g hex tank was fully cycled. It has been empty now for five days except for live plants, gravel, and snails with biowheel filter still running. I have been adding a small amount of flake food to the tank daily to keep it cycled. I tested the water this morning and found the ammonia to be just between 0-.25. It hasn't started its cycle over yet has it? Nitrites are 0. I was just under the impression that to keep a tank cycled all you had to do was add a small amount of flake food to the tank daily. I last added some last night around 6pm. Thanks in advance for replies!

What kind of snails? If they are something larger like apples, you are getting the bioload of a fish or two.

It should be cycled. I think that just fish food is a lower bioload than a fish with fish food. But you haven't completely lost your cycle. When did you plan on adding fish?

If you're really worried, then you can cut out more filter media from one of your other tanks to help out.

It should be cycled. I think that just fish food is a lower bioload than a fish with fish food. But you haven't completely lost your cycle. When did you plan on adding fish?

If you're really worried, then you can cut out more filter media from one of your other tanks to help out.

I actually think I was reading the card wrong....I asked my daughter for her opinion on the color of the ammonia card and she said she thought it was a 0 for ammonia....her eyes are younger than mine...lol!

I want to add a dwarf puffer to the tank for my husband as a surprise, but I am having a really hard time finding them online. I have already checked wtih local fish stores and petsmart and no one carries them or will order one for me because their suppliers don't offer them. So, I have gone to two puffer websites and placed classified ads asking for one.....

Back
Top Bottom