Quick newb question about lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaunakadub

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just a quick one for everyone. Does the light play a huge factor in my fishy's heads? Like... when adding fish, does it matter if I have the light on or off? Does it stress the fish in the tank when I sometimes turn the light off, then afew hours later turn it on? Does it need to be on like a timer maybe?

I added a few fish today, and for some reason I thought to myself maybe the fish will get accustomed a little better to the tank if I have the light turned off, so its darker and they wont have a hard time finding a dark area.

I dunno, maybe i'm just crazy :eyes:

ive read from another forum that they are suggesting to have the lights off and that you add the fish at night time.. will look up for a link of that forum to confirm

Keep the lights off when adding new fish. It will give them time to adjust. Also, feed the current fish while you are netting in the new fish. It will keep them distracted away from the new arrival for a few minutes.

Although many people will add fish with the lighting off I personally do not, I add them with the lights on so that they can immidiately explore their new surroundings and quickly determine other fishes' territories and avoid runing into them with the lights off, only my opinion ... (I have never noticed a fish suffer from stress because of aclimitation with lighting).

Back
Top Bottom