Quick question about if I have to re-cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yesterday, when I was in search for baby mollies, I kinda...sucked out all the water while I was digging around and cleaning up all the junk that was in the rocks and had to refill it all, but some of the kinda clean water I had left in the bucket I dumped in (there was nothing in it, it was just colored) but refilled the water up with tap water, dechlorinated it and all that jazz. Do I have to re-cycle the tank because I replaced most of the water or will it be all set? ._.

You might see a short mini-spike of ammonia/nitrite, but I would guess that things will get back to normal fairly quickly as long as you have all your original media in place, since that is where the majority of the bacteria is housed.

...I don't have filter media... O_O I just cleaned out the HOB filter but all I have is this little plastic thing that catches stuff cuz there was a bunch of brown slimy junk on it, but I didn't get ALL of it but the rocks were left out for about a half hour >_<

But I did dump that..ickish water back in ^^;

Tap water...I cleaned it out in the sink there was too much junk in it >_<

But the stuff stays stuck in the middle of the tube where it's bent cuz I can't get at it, and it's under the plastic platform thing that connects the tube to the little spinny thingy majiger.

The water could have been replaced. If you rinsed the filter "plastic thing", in tap water, then you probably killed off the beneficial bacteria and you will see a cycle.

I don't have filter media... O_O I just cleaned out the HOB filter but all I have is this little plastic thing that catches stuff cuz there was a bunch of brown slimy junk on it, but I didn't get ALL of it but the rocks were left out for about a half hour >_<

I cannot understand this statement. You do/don't have filter media but you do have an HOB that catches stuff??

If nothing was left dry for any length of time (hours), you will be fine.

It's this little plastic U shaped thing that's grated at the bottom... but I probably was thinking like those filter things you stick in them when I put i don't have any

My friend bethany gave the tank and most of everything that went in it for my birthday, I don't know what brand of filter or anything about it >_<

I'm now guessing that since you used tap water for the cleaning of your HOB filter that you will see a re-cycle. Most of the bacteria lives in the media of your filter system and the tap water will kill it.

Alrighty @__@ thank you guys...

I could dump some of that disgusting water i still have sitting on my floor from like....a few days ago I haven't dumped out yet in it...

I wouldn't dump the old water back in. Especially after a few days. It is full of phosphates and nitrates and who knows what other nasties. Just do partial water changes twice a week to keep your levels within a range that won't stress your fish.

could dump some of that disgusting water i still have sitting on my floor from like....a few days ago I haven't dumped out yet in it...

No don't do that! You would be better off IMO starting over with clean water.

I wont i wont! lol I was just thinking that might have bacteria but now that I remember that theres a bunch of growing brown junk at the bottom.........*shudders* ewwwwwwww.... I wouldn't wanna be swimming around in that, why should they?

So how did the water get that dirty to start with? How long had the tank been setup? I'm a little confused at how you got in this trouble.

oh no no no! I cleaned out the tank of excess food and stuff a few days ago (like over the weekend) and it's just been sitting in a bucket on my floor and I just have yet to dump it out yet it's just got stuff sitting in it, that's the GROSS water the other water's fine just got like crap in it. I plan on taking care of that when I get home @__@, but i was thinking for a sec that it might have some of the bacteria but nah.... I've had the tank since february I just was looking for the baby mollies, found one and 3 dead ones, kicked up a lot of debris from the rocks and started to clean it and by the time I vaccumed everything the water was pretty much just gone >_<

But I'm just gonna do what Fluff told me ^^ thanks guys!

Hope that cleared my situation up a bit...^^;

Back
Top Bottom