Quick question new to aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vindictive101

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I just got into this hobby about 20 days ago. I have a 55 gallon high and a 10 gallon. Only 2 fish waiting for the cycle to complete. Quick question on my 55g I have had ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Saturday I had a 0.50 ppm ammonia, 0.25 ppm nitrite, and 5.0 ppm. Today I did a 45% water change and I have 0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5.0 nitrate. What exactly does this mean? Is the cycle over?

Cycles can take up to 4-6 weeks (sometimes even longer) once your nitrate and nitrites are 0 along with your ammonia being low then this is a sign it is almost time. It is all about patience :lol:

The cycle is over when your ammonia, nitrites are at 0 and stay at 0. Nitrates don't matter as much, but at the End of the cycle you should have some.

Your nitrates don't have to be at 0, they should be detectable at the end of the cycle. The ammonia and nitrite is what you should be most concerned with

Got you I wasn't sure if nitrates being present was the end stage. Saturday was the first time I got a reading on Nitrates since day one and it is day 20. Thanks for your responses.

Back
Top Bottom