Rainbow Shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksfishguy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a fairly aggressive rainbow shark in my 42 gallon tall hexagon tank. Any suggestions on bottom feeders? I think he is responsible for the downfall of my albino cories...

The rainbow shark was docile and kept to himself in a cave for a month or so, now he is active and doesn't hide much.

I have a small school of rasboras (6)
3 dwarf gouramis
2 swordtails
2 neon tetras (tried to have more, but didn't make it - Walmart fish)

Thanks!

I know many will advice to get rid of the rainbow shark, but my nine year old son is highly attached to him.

Rainbow shark is starting to chase swordtails around. He doesn't bother the other fish whatsoever.

I had a post awhile back on the downfall of my albino cories. The determination was that they were either not well when I purchased them from a LFS or they were stressed by the rainbow. My tank is fully cycled, ammonia and nitrite zero, nitrate 10. I do frequent water changes and vacuum the gravel as well. I do have a high PH 7.8-8.2 and have fairly hard water.

Check the edit it my last post...perhaps it will help (didn't want you to miss it)

my rainbow patrols the bottom of a 29g, and chases anyone nearing the bottom, including largeish angels. s/he has a special interest in platies (who nibble at algae time to time, thus putting them in the same feeding niche as the rainbow). so, in case your swords are algae-nibblers, the rainbow might be mad at them.
the footprint of a 42g hex might be too small to add any more bottom-dwellers with the rainbow already there. plecos that stay small (i'm not a big fan of plecos, so can't suggest much) probably would fare better.

For bottom feeders, I would say larger cories, loaches, and plecos. The smaller cories may not like the rainbow shark too much, but if you give extra hiding areas, they should do ok. I have my cories with a Red Tail Shark which is even more aggressive, and they are doing just fine.

I picked up a bristlenose pleco today, he looks cool and is cruising the tank. I also put a dwarf african frog in as well. My swords to like the algae disks, so my rainbow must not like competition.

I saw some large brownish cories at the LFS, but did not buy any today. They were good size and just came in the last shipment. How many do you suggest (minimum)?

Thanks!

ksfishguy said:
I picked up a bristlenose pleco today, he looks cool and is cruising the tank.

Do you have some driftwood for the bristlenose pleco?

As for the cories, I've always heard that they are happier in groups of at least five. It's funny though because mine always seem to spread out on the bottom of my 55 gallon.

No driftwood, lots of plants and a cave. He seems to like the gave and my filter intake tubes. The rainbow shark does not take too kindly to the pleco...

Need to get some driftwood for the pleco so he can scrub on the wood. It keeps them healthy. Just a small piece will work.

A lot of fish stores will have Malaysian driftwood for sale. I got most of mine at Petco. Check for Malaysian or African, as they sink immediately. Just do a quick rinse on them, and a quick boil to make sure it's free of any small critters you don't want in the tank, and add to the tank. It will leach tannins in the tank at first and give it a tea color. It's perfectly safe for the fish. And if you don't like it, carbon in the filter will remove it. The plecos need wood to help in their digestive process. So even just 1 small piece would be enough. Or if you like driftwood, the more the merrier, lol.

I often soak my driftwood for a week or two before adding into the tank because I am one of those people who doesn't like the tea colored water! For more information about why that type of pleco needs the wood, you can go to:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=48
It is thought that elements in bogwood, particularly lignin, may form an essential part of Bristlenose diet. Certainly they have the immensely long guts common to vegetarians, and although they fall avidly on the occasional meal of live food or prawns, the bulk of their diet must be composed of vegetable matter. If a high protein diet is fed constantly, then they will become prone to stomach disorders. Vegetable roughage keeps the gut in working order, and bogwood is a valuable addition to this.

Back
Top Bottom