Rainbows, Gouramis....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Judge92

Aquarium Advice Activist
29g
2 Mollies
2 Guppies
4 Green and Gold Cories
1 Clown Pleco
9 Neon Tetras
1 Platy

I'm looking for additions. I just need some fish I can do some research on. Also, are rainbows and certain types of gouramis good? I want some colour added to the tank. I was looking at some turquoise rainbows and I was told they ge up to 4" and I should have about 5 of them. This would put me over capacity I assume. I don't want to limit myself to just a specific kind of fish but it seems that might be the only option since most fish like to be in groups.

What about dwarf gouramis? They grow to about 3"? Would one male by themselves be fine? Should I get a pair? If I do, do they breed easily or is it hard? I want to have the least amount of fry possible(or none at all lol)

Seriously, I want to know if I can have any dwarf gouramis? Can they be by themselves like one male. I don't want fry so is having a pair fine?

Please respond!

Turquoise rainbows get a bit big for a 29g. I wouldn't got any larger than Praecox rainbows (2"-3"). They're very active fish and need some room. I'm actually planning to move my praecox 'bows to a 40B in the next few weeks.

I'm no gourami expert, but I know that dwarves can be be pretty vicious. I'd only get one in a 29g and I think I'd pick either the gourami or the rainbows.

Really? Everywhere I've read said that dwarf gouramis are like the best community fish lol

Anabantids (gouramis & bettas) can have a mean streak. If you kept one dwarf gourami in a community with fish that aren't the same shape and don't have long fins, I think you'd be ok.

I've never kept Gouramis before, so take this with what you will - but from my experience with Mollies (and by proxy Platys) - they tend to be fairly rambunctious fish (swimming all over the place)...

...so I wouldn't say "absolutely no gourami" - but if I had to predict the most likely source of conflict, it would be that the Gourami will try and establish a small territory somewhere, and if the Mollies / Plays / Guppies make a game of scooting through his/her territory, he/she could either get stressed, or get aggressive.

It's one of the downsides of the Livebearer groups - they don't stay at one level or in one spot in the aquarium. If it's big enough for them to swim through - they'll swim through it. :D

Turquoise Rainbows definitely get too large for your tank. I would go with something that stays 2" and less. Furcata and Gertrude's Rainbows stay smaller...around 1" to 1.5". A school of either one of those would be a nice addition and they aren't too big and active for your tank size. I would get 8 of either. Praecox are kinda hit or miss IMO. I prefer them to have more space...but I'm a little lenient when it comes to some fish. They are pretty active from what I've seen and I don't feel like 29g would provide enough space. I'd rather have them in a 3ft+ tank. If you decide to go with them, I wouldn't have more than 6.

Like Vircomore said...the Gourami might have issues with the Mollies....but it may not. Some Gouramis are pretty temperamental and others are peaceful. I would definitely get only 1. It is hard to find female Dwarf Gouramis and 2 males would surely fight. I think you could try 1, but make sure you can return it if it doesn't work out.

If you can, beef your Cory clan up to 6-8 just to make them happier and to have more action on the bottom.

I feel that if I add more cories or get another school that I wont have any more room.

Mollies really have the potential to get fairly large. A 29 gallon is a good size for them, but IMO your tank is going to be pretty well stocked when your fish reach adult size. I would personally not recommend adding anything else.

So I think I may try a dwarf gourami after all the research I did I came to the general conclusion that they are generally peaceful and docile. My mollies aren't CRAZY so I think it should all be fine. I won't be able to add it anytime soon until my tank gets back under control lol. Crazy ammonia spike and a sick platy. I don't even really know lol

Judge92, peaceful if there are only one, yes. Peaceful if there are two or more is debatable. I have four in a 120g and I am having problems with them. The first one was fine with my other fish but they don't like each others company. I have seen some posts where they are not having any problems with multiple dwarf gouramis in a tank.

You may look at Dr. Tim's One and Only for the ammonia. There site states you don't need to do a fishless cycle if you use the product but I did one anyway. It cut the process time in at least half, probably much more than half.

So I think I may try a dwarf gourami after all the research I did I came to the general conclusion that they are generally peaceful and docile. My mollies aren't CRAZY so I think it should all be fine. I won't be able to add it anytime soon until my tank gets back under control lol. Crazy ammonia spike and a sick platy. I don't even really know lol

Did you throw all those fish in the tank without cycling it? If you're having a spike in ammonia, I hope you're doing daily water changes to keep it under control.

The tank was cycled before I added any fish. Not sure why there was a spike, some other people might have thought it was because I changed the filter cartridge.

Mark, I think I might only have room for one more anyways.

Back
Top Bottom