Ram/Appistos with guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait54

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got a 28g with an EBR and I'm planning to add an apisto will they be fine with guppies or am I gonna have problems down the road?

Ebr and apistos seem to be more peaceful than most cichlids, guppies might make it but I wouldn't suggest it. No, lyre-tailed guppies aren't necessarily faster than fancy or feeder guppies. In general guppies aren't really quick fish, and those fins are great targets for nippers

I've never had any issues with rams and apistos with guppy-sized fish.

Thanks guys I suppose I can try it. I don't have any tail nipping fish on the plus side.

And I have a 54g tank and a 10g if I need to move either specimen.

I agree with siva. It shouldn't be an issue. Spawning rams will chase other fish out of their territory, but a single fish will rarely care about tankmates too much. I keep guppies with my rams and other dwarf cichlids and its never been a problem.
Also, IME, no the lyre-tails are not faster swimmers, but it depends on the exact size of the tail fins you are comparing.

absolutangel04 said:
I agree with siva. It shouldn't be an issue. Spawning rams will chase other fish out of their territory, but a single fish will rarely care about tankmates too much. I keep guppies with my rams and other dwarf cichlids and its never been a problem.
Also, IME, no the lyre-tails are not faster swimmers, but it depends on the exact size of the tail fins you are comparing.

Thank you.

Sounds great here's my tank now. I just need to trade the Von rios for 3-4? Guppies and buy the apisto. :)

The EBR stands out like a sore thumb lol

Also my stock list is in my profile.

Attachments

• image-2088711849.jpg
    image-2088711849.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 120
i have 2 gbrs and a dwarf flag cichlid with small tetras and mm platys and they have never had any issues. they are small like guppies. they've been together about 2 years. btw nice tank. :)

jpchin said:
i have 2 gbrs and a dwarf flag cichlid with small tetras and mm platys and they have never had any issues. they are small like guppies. they've been together about 2 years. btw nice tank. :)

Thanks! That's great news.

My brother just told me he has some green cobra guppies I'll be getting some of those!!

Back
Top Bottom