RCS tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackwagon

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 10 gallon tank that I want to make into a RCS tank. I just have some questions before I get started.

1. How many shrimp could I keep?

2. Is gravel an ok substrate at least short term?

3. I want to do live plants in 3-4 months or so (not enough money for a hood) so can I just do ambient light and a small desktop light short term?

Thanks

I have a 10 gallon tank that I want to make into a RCS tank. I just have some questions before I get started.

1. How many shrimp could I keep?

A bunch ... Like over 50... Easily ... But that could get expensive. Luckily RCS are known to breed pretty readily.

2. Is gravel an ok substrate at least short term?

Sure ... But PFS may be a bit better and you can get a bag at a pool supply store for a few bucks.

3. I want to do live plants in 3-4 months or so (not enough money for a hood) so can I just do ambient light and a small desktop light short term?

RCS do better with plants for cover ... Get some Anubius, crypts and java fern and some simple clip on desktop lights should do ... All are low light plants. No need to wait 3-4 months.

Thanks

See the bold above.

Ok I'll probably just do sand then. Probably about 10lbs right?

I'm planning on getting 10 to start and having them breed. I read somewhere that having 100 isn't even that bad. Is this true? It would take awhile to get there.

I only have some ambient light and a small clip on desk light so I don't know if that is going to be enough but I'll try when my plants start propagating.

10lbs sound ok to start with .. You'll want 2-3 inches as your substrate.
Look to add a couple of hand sized DW and rocks to give them hiding spaces.

Try to get daylight bulbs ... 5500K - 6500K. In a 10gal, you'd be surprised how much light 2 desktop clip light can put out for plants ... So only a few hours on ... Like 6-8hrs.

100 RCS's not unreasonable ... Even in a 10gal .... Though it'll probably start to look crowded.

I went out and bought some black sand for 7 dollars and added that after I rinsed it a lot. Now I just need my hood and shrimp! I'm planning on getting them here once I have some more money.

Back
Top Bottom